• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Setting UP FTP With router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You set up your FTP like normal, either using DHCP (where the router automatically sets up the box), or static with a 192.x.x.x IP. Then you need to map ports to it.

NON-PASV: Map ports 20 and 21 TCP to your FTP box.

PASV: Check in the help file of your FTP server software for the PASV range, and map that to your FTP box.

heh, while although su root is right, why dont you tell me what kind of router you have and perhaps i can walk you through it. it sounds like you dont have too much experience with this kind of thing (not that im a computer god, but ive done this before) and could use a bit more lengthy explaination

of course then again, i could just as easily be being a jackass and you completely understood what he said...if thats the case, sorry for assuming you didnt know what he's talking about...

bring up the table that lists all your DHCP clients. Then find out which computer is running your FTP server software. Go to the advanced tab, then to the forwarding tab. Set up port 20 and 21 to be enabled and it will ask for the DHCP address of that computer. type in the FTP server's address. to connect to that FTP from an outside IP address (if you're in your own lan, you have to use the inside address 192.168.1.xxx) the person will need to connect to your real IP address (found under the "status" tab on port 21. If he's trying to connect from IE, its in the format xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:21 (the x's are your IP address)

Hope this helps

ok I dont even know my user name and password for the router... i typed in admin as Password like the manual said but that doesnt work anymore.... I ran the setup Cd again and I still cant get it in... whats the problem?

Large_Duggan said:
ok I dont even know my user name and password for the router... i typed in admin as Password like the manual said but that doesnt work anymore.... I ran the setup Cd again and I still cant get it in... whats the problem?
The username and password set on the router is incorrect. Either find the person who set the password and get them to tell you what it is, or press the reset button on the router, and use the default password.

its under the advanced tab. basically the router is a DHCP server. all your computers are connected to it and now have the IP address 192.168.1.x. On the other side of the router though, is your cable modem. It has an IP assigned by your cable co. When you get an incoming connection to an FTP server (that you're running on one of your machines on port 21) the router needs to know which machine to send that call to because it's not going to let calls to port 21 just run rampant on your network. Ports are basically like keyholes. Each type of software has a specific keyhole that it goes to. FTP happens to be port 21. (Now, I know you can change it, but thats bad news, and we're just not going to talk about port renaming). You should be able to bring up a list of the DHCP Clients on your network. they should all have unique names so that you know which one is which (sometimes its helpful to label them: bedroom, kitchen, garage, etc. for the corresponding rooms).

Actually, here, maybe this will help a bit more. This is the screen you set it up from.

router.jpg

Notice in that above picture I have defined a new port for RealVNC. This is a remote desktop utility. Look up at the top and you see FTP. Check enable and set the IP address to the DHCP assigned IP address of the computer that is running the FTP software.

Oh, btw, to access this menu, go to the Advanced tab, the Forwarding tab, and then the uPnP button down at the bottom.

D Link DI614+

RadRacer

I am in the same boat with my D Link DI614+. I have actually uninstalled all the software and want to start again. I have Bulletproof FTP and I want to setup an ftp so I can access from outside the lan. Do you think you could help me out.

Last edited:
mycotopian all you really need to do is forward port 21 to the computer with the files on it. which means you need to forward it in your router settings to your local ip. If you have a linksys router all you need to do is open IE type 192.168.1.1 and will bring up your login dialog box. Type Admin for username and Admin for password (if no one has changed it). Go to advanced tab once your in then go to forwarding. In there type 21 and what local ip address to forward it too. if you need help with this i would be happy to help you just shoot me a pm or get with me on aim and i will check this thread or radracer can help you good luck msg me if you need help.

Do you have Bulletproof FTP client, or BPFTP Server? BPFTP Server is what I use as well. tom kruze did a good job of reiterating what I said earlier in a much briefer format. But, being as how you said you have a D-link router, and his instructions are for a Linksys (as are the ones above) I would imagine the process will be a little bit different. Can you access the port forwarding menu on your router? Also, do you have the higher end D-link router? I know on my Dell router I couldn't change the port forwarding. If you can't access it (although spend a lot of time on it, I'm quite sure its there somewhere) you may need to get a new router that supports forwarding.

I just set my FTP server back up BULLETPROOF...I set up an account for my friend along with a password

well I can use his name and password to sign into the server but when he tries it from his place..it doesn't work...

so my question is the problem on his end or on my end...

You'll have to be more specific than "it doesn't work"

can you log into it? did you forward the ports 20 and 21? are you guys using PASV (if so, did you forward the PASV ports specific to bulletproof FTP's PASV range?) Can he ping you? Can he actually connect and/or log in?

You did forward the port to you local ip correct. You gave your friend your WAN ip which you can get at www.whatismyip.com. Did you setup the correct folder for it to share with the proper permission. After check all of these items let me know if it still doesnt work.

I think i got it now after talking to you for a little bit it says connecting but i cant see anything i had the problem once had something to do with PASV mode. Might try that.

Back