• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Zalman VGA MOD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

killer7

Hey, has anyone modded a Zalman GPU heatsink by placing fans on it? I am thinking about putting a 80mm fan on the top(blowing down) and maybe one attatched to the heatpipe if I get really creative. Tell me what you think. :p

Hopefully, if I do this mod, I will be able to run my core stable at over 400 core. Compiled with Arctic Silver III and some memory heatsinks......I WILL HAVE ULTIMATE POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can cool a Zalman HP with a fan and lots of people do since it's barely enough in passive mode. One way to do it is the blow air in the edge which will cool the components (ie ram) and PCB. Ingeneral I think most people cool the top side although if you have the room it probably make more sense to use a PCI slot or two as an exhaust vent and attach a small ducted fan there. It would keep heat from building up in the case and cool the first level of heatsinking... just a theory.

I've heard that heatpipes are temperamental and will turn off (stop bubbling) at low temps so although supercooling the arrangement will do some good I assume there's a limit. Since the GPU side of the Zalman is so big, you should still see a gain with a fan even if the top isn't doing anything. I guess.

Back