• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Placement of fans on heatercore

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wibarm

hi, i'm relative n00b to the w/c scene, but i've had my system up and going for about a month... this weekend i'm rerouting alot of the tubes and hopefully cleaning my case up alot, i'll post pictures then, but i have a few question about fans and heatercores...

the way my system is set up i run the tubes out the back of my case to the heatercore which sits on top of the case... i have it sitting on a few slimline cd case to let air get thorughit better andi have 4 80 mm fans sitting top of it 2x2... i wan tto botl it to the top so i can move the coputer easier, i plan on using standoffs and raising the heatercore about 2 inche soff the top of my case...

i didn't know if this sounds like a good idea at all, there no way i can fit my heatecore in my case, buti still wanted the comptuer to remain one piece. and setting the heatercore flat top of the case seems like it'd restrict air flow pretty bad. at first i jsut thought of raising it up and usingthe 2x2 fan array on the top and maybe make a shroud for them but i then thought i could make soemthing to fasten the 80mm's to the bottom and make a shroud and single large fan on top... any comments and suggestions are appreciated, thanks!!

well i'm at home now my heatercore is has a coolign area of about 7"x7.5", whats the largest 12v fan you'd recomend?

i'll get soem pictures up by saturday for sure if not sooner...

oh, well , what service can i use to host pictures for me? than i'll post pictures and give a better idea of what i'm talking about...

well the biggest fan you could fit is a Cormair Rotron 172mm, bit of a warning though, the 12v variety draw ~2.26 amps and make about 52db of niose, though you can reduce this singinficantly at 5v :D.

Most people around here seem to use panaflows or papst 120mm's (if you get some of those, i recomend Wet Willy's fan shroud project)

Happy Hunting

Back