• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where can I get stuff anodized?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PunkRawk911

I'm looking to get a few aluminum things anodized. Does anyone know of an online place that might do it cheaply, or how to find a local place that might do it? I'm looking to get some stuff anodized in a green color.

I can't get into the classified sections, but I'm pretty sure I have more than 100 posts, id there anyway I can check?

Custom Anodizing
I have an anodizing station and am ready to help fellow overclockers. $35 per batch in black, $40 per batch for other solid colors. You provide the aluminum parts already sanded/polished. 6061 works the best. A batch is approximately the size of 10 CPU waterblocks. PM me for details/questions.

The anodizing is Type II, class 2, almost any color is available. A "Hard" anodize can only be black or clear.

A type 2 anodize is hard enough that it cannot be scratched with steel wool. It was very difficult for me to scribe a line in one piece after it had been anodized.

I have not been able to find pure aluminum anywhere. 6061 is the most readily available alloy, and is inexpensive. I put that disclaimer there as a warning, since some aluminum alloys will anodize just fine, but they will not take color.

send PM to NeoMoses.....that post was by him in the classifieds section....hope this helps.

as for online phone book, the beauty of those is you don't need to know the exact heading. just do a search for anodize and it should turn up some results. The reason I like them better than paper phone books is that it's much easier to find what you need....I somehow doubt that the "anodizing" section in a paper phone book would be very big, if it exists.

Click on profile to see how many you're at. Sidenote, posts in the 'chat' forums don't count, and if you're caught doing the one word replies in other forums, you'll get shot.

Well, maybe not shot, but life will be made dificult for you very quickly. :)

How much do you need anodized? I have to do it sometimes for work and they have certain limits to how much you have, and we rarely hit right on what needs to be anodized. I'll check if we have anything going to be anodized soon, I know we have something going to be chromated very soon if it wasent taken in today. If you want you could send them to me and then I could get them anodized and send them back.

Apilot21:
That's a great offer... Her'es what I'm looking to get anodized, six 5.25 drive bay faceplates, and two 3.5 inch ones. I want to get them anodized green. I doubt if you'll be able to do rhis, but I'm not sure...

I also have another question, can steel be anodized, or only aluminum? The reason I ask is because I have two steel fan grills that I'd also like anodized green, but am not sure if this is possible.

Only Aluminum can be anodized. THe prosses basicly creates a layer of oxidation on the alu. I don't think iron oxide (rust) would be very atractive.

I dont think I can help you there then, I dont know if you can switch colors like that, everything that we get anodized is usually black and I have seen some blue. Steel cant be anodized but there are processes like anodizing that strengthens it and turns it into a different color.

PunkRawk911 said:
Apilot21:
I also have another question, can steel be anodized, or only aluminum? The reason I ask is because I have two steel fan grills that I'd also like anodized green, but am not sure if this is possible.

Their right steel can not be anodized but it can be powdercoated. Powdercoating is very durible and also comes in a wide range of colors.

I found this place that does powder coating

Linky

According to the site this is what they .can do

What can be powder coated? Typically Steel, Aluminum*, or Iron. Our gun allows us to coat on almost any surface, although it must be able to withstand ~400 degrees for 40+ minutes for curing. Our oven size is - 6'W x 8'T x 14.5' long.

*For powder coating aluminum the normal cure temperature can change the molecular makeup, aluminum parts that have critical strength properties are powder coated with a low cure powder and cured @ 320 degrees

Back