• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New computer, new problems...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Blazer

For the first time in a very long time, I've decided to use ACPI (but not APIC). My problem is that for some reason my computer no longer wants to shutdown if I used stanby. :mad:

Also, when I do an hibernate, when it's resuming (filling the white bar), it get stuck when the bar is full and it just sit there doing nothing. :mad:

These are my only problems right now...

Oh yeah, should I enable IDE Bus Master in the bios ? It's disabled by default...

And there's also an Accelerate PCI or something like that, is that any good ?

Do you have a modded BIOS with the option to disable APCI & what OS are you using? Usually you get shutdown issues with ACPI disabled when using Windows XP, also if you have installed the OS with it disabled you will need to reinstall the OS to be able to use ACPI.

This seems to be more of an OS configuration problem & not a board issue. I'll PM a mod to move the thread to the OS section so upi can get a better response from the people there.

Whatever state ACPI was set in the BIOS when you installed the OS is what you have to have when you run the OS. Like they said, you'll have to reinstall/repair/inplace upgrade your OS after you change the ACPI state in the BIOS. W2k won't even boot for me if I try to disable it.

I can't remember which BIOS menu its under but it's there as I've already turned it off and back on.

I had to do a repair job today because of this.

It has fixed sleep to ram and hibernate. I guess it was nVidia's IDE driver.

Still, I would like to know if there's a way to disable ACPI. I know you can disable it during Windows XP's setup but I don't remember how. If I do this will I still be able to make the computer cut power on shut down ? I could on my old MSI K7N420 Pro (you could disable ACPI in the BIOS), but not on an old A7V (you couldn't disable ACPI in the BIOS).

The Blazer said:
I think you're talking about APIC because I can't find anything related to ACPI exept for the supend mode.

Yeah, you're right. APIC is under the advanced bios features.

Back