• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Onboard Car Computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DJ Switch

Hey guys I'm thinkin about building a computer to stick in my car somewhere. I have some criteria for a motherboard:

Small
No onboard LAN/Audio/Video
RAID-1 Support
PIII (Tult cores) or P4
at least 1 PCI slot

What I plan to do is go all out on the video and sound cards (128mb Video Card, and Audigy2 Platinum), and run the S-video out to one of those flip out monitors :D. Sweet! Then since it is in a car I'll run like 3 or 4 10GB hard drives in RAID-1 and only load my music on there. Fast CD-Rom. A nice rig for my car. Tell me what you guys think and any extar ideas would be nice too.

***The only problem I see with it is your discussion of warez, keep it clean next time. Warez are not and will not be tolerated around here, next offense will result in a ban.

SpeeDj***

Kyle

Last edited by a moderator:
a micro atx with nothing on-board...... I have not seen one. I would get an nfoce2 micro atx board. They have the nvidia GF4 gpu and you can assign as much mem as you want to it. I am getting 8xxx-9xxx 3dmark scores from mine.:D They also have the s-video out option.

Well, first of all, save your money on the video card. It's not like you're going to be running at high resolutions on there. I'd get something relatively inexpensive. Actually, something like an Epia would probably work well for you. I'd forget about the RAID, though I'm guessing you're going for redundancy. What I'd actually do is get a removable HD enclosure in your car as well as in your PC. Get a single 20-40 gig HDD and make a ghost image of it for backup somewhere.

Honestly, here's what I would do. Either get an Epia or something like an inexpensive NForce/NForce 2 board with Sound Storm. Going all out on the sound card is pretty ridiculous too. Unless you've got a VERY VERY high-end car audio system, it's a waste of time. Using the onboard audio would greatly simplify things. The reason I suggested an Epia is that A) you could go with a fanless configuration and B) it's got everything you'd need since what you're basically wanting to do is to make a media PC.

I would also make a note to check on legalities. I recall people being ticketed for having LCDs and screens within view of the driver. Granted, they were DVD systems in cars, but a cop might not see the difference. Check on that before you go.

I would also make a note to check on legalities.
Of course, I have also seen somethin of this nature, however that doesnt necessarily mean I would have th screen up while driving.
Also my friend's sister has one of those huge Suburbans, and it displays CD tracks numbers and such, and thus far they have seen no problems.

I would also make a note to check on legalities.
***NO It's not legal to discuss nor is it legal to post a work around, one more post like this qualifies for the ban. Think yourself... SpeeDj***

Playin the system at best~
Kyle

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you may discover that there is a more strict sense of legality here. While I'm sure many members fracture a law or two when it comes to software etc, it's discussion is usually not tolerated in public forum.

If you are running through S-Video then you may as well go for on-board Video, as the quality won't be great anyway.

Kazaa is legal, some of the stuff on it is not. I'd stay within the rules on this one... ;)

Sorry Speedj I will stick to the actual idea, and not the specifics. From now on we will stick to the fact I will be running Windows XP Media Center Edition, and nothing more. Sorry to all.

Kyle

DJ Switch said:
Sorry Speedj I will stick to the actual idea, and not the specifics. From now on we will stick to the fact I will be running Windows XP Media Center Edition, and nothing more. Sorry to all.

Kyle

:)

What will the main use of the computer be, Music I take it?

why not get one of those itty bitty shuttle boxes and your set. but for raid no room. plus I think the bumps from the car will do a number on your drives. they are very sensitive to g-forces(not the vid card). You might have to sacrifice your trunk space and build some type of suspension to house all the drives, if you want raid. maybe buying laptop drives might be the way to go on this. very small and light and stand up to g-force much better than a big standard ide.

cool idea. makes the creative juices flow through me brain. thanks

Zatoichi said:
why not get one of those itty bitty shuttle boxes and your set. but for raid no room. plus I think the bumps from the car will do a number on your drives. they are very sensitive to g-forces(not the vid card). You might have to sacrifice your trunk space and build some type of suspension to house all the drives, if you want raid. maybe buying laptop drives might be the way to go on this. very small and light and stand up to g-force much better than a big standard ide.

cool idea. makes the creative juices flow through me brain. thanks

Laptop drives in raid format has been done. :)

How about a tiny ITX board with RAID and Laptop drives ? :p

Laptop drives are better since they can tolerate temperature extremes better (your car will sit outside in the cold, plus it will sit in the sun and get scorching)
Also, Laptop drives, as mentioned before, can tolerate bumps and knocks a great deal better than a desktop drive.

On the other hand, Laptop drives are costly and don't hold as much (key factor when you want to have loads of music available)

Desktop drives are not as great at working in very hot or very cold conditions, so perhaps some insulation would help... keep the heat/cold out. Also, if you used some sponge or something, the drive would be cushioned against the worst bumps, so it would tolerate being driven around much better.

Plus, Desktop drives are very cheap nowadays - a thirty gig 5,400 rpm drive (you do not need super speed to listen to music!) will set you back about $50-70 (guesstimate conversion)

So i'll leave the choice of drives up to you.

Processor wise, the MAIN consideration is: Are you going to use this machine to watch DVDs or to watch DivX encoded films? If so, you will probably want to steer away from the VIA Epia CPUs, since they lack the power to play DVDs without stuttering, but for just music, they are preferable due to reduced heat output etc.

Ram, again, if you want to watch movies, then 256 to 512 megs of ram would be nice. If all you want to do is listen to music then 128 or EVEN (Cough) 64 megs of ram would be okay.

Power:

You have two options available. Either you invest in an inverter (this takes the 12volts of your car, and bumps it up to 120/230volts AC) and then use a standard PSU.

OR with a bit of searching, it is possible to locate ATX PSUs designed for use on 12/24dc, which is perfect for the job in hand, but sometimes these PSUs can be expensive for their output.

Finally, the main problem you will have to deal with is heat.

Just leave your car out in the sun for a while, and get in. Feel the dashboard. Inside a car, left in the sun, the temperature can reach highs of 50c! So that means that if you use a hot-running CPU (well, hot running compared to an Epia) then it may well be running at 60-70c, which is not a good thing. Epias produce less heat, but they will struggle to keep cool when the ambient air is 50c.

You have several ways of solving this problem:

You could duct your blower/Air conditioning to blow cool air over the computer, but bear in mind that in the winter when you set the heat to full, your computer will get full heat also, so consider having a way of shutting off the air to the computer.

You could get a low power CPU (VIA Epia) and then stick a fat copper heatsink on it (SLK 700, 800 or 900) so that it will get rid of heat easily.

You could Watercool the system, and put the radiator somewhere where the air is cool.... however, don't be tempted to make the computer a part of your cars cooling system - since the water going round that is kinda warm (like 80-90c) so that would cook your CPU.

You could just ignore the problem and only use the computer when it's cool inside the car.

Hope that I helped you make some decisions there, or that I alerted you to potential problems before you went and spent money... I deliberately left this open to you, since I have no experience, and this is all depending on budget, your needs, and other factors (such as if you want to be able to plug in a keyboard and mouse, then play shoot-em-ups in your car :))

Blueacid

SO basically we are looking at a couple main problems.
1: Heat (darned that heat its alwasy the enemy!!)
2: G-shock to the drives
3: Space in the car

1. I think the best solution to this would be to get a very big heatsink, and a few mid-range cfm 80mm to blow it away. this will keep noise down, and keep the processor at best around 50` C.

2. Theres a number of ways to do this, but I think if I make some sort of mechanism that would allow the drive to move somewhat freely it should take care of the problem.

3. Space, now to try and fit all this inside the car. My best friends will be the dash, under the seats, and maybe even the trunk.

Considering the awesome power of a car electric circuit you should look into Peltier cooling....

Whats your guys' opinion on a thermaltake subzero4g. I hear it can hold room temperature pretty close, with a few degrees aobve/below. I also hear its quiet. Theres a thread maybe some of you already saw. I can't think of it off the top of my head, but it was pretty extensive.

I can built a computer cheaper than that Neo Jukebox, and that defeats the whole idea alltogether.

An answer to the laptop idea: expensive, and I dont need the extra LCD, which means I would pay more than I have to. I also dont need the keyboard or touch pad. It isnt upgradable as far as PCI slots, so on.

Back