• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

west nile virus and folding?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flixotide

I was just curious, are any of the folding projects minded towards the west-nile virus?

Cheers, Flix

pardon my intellectual absense, but virii have quite a wide array of working, and it shouldn't come to any surprise to me, if some virii (e.g. such as the WNV) could have an effect on the human body's ability to contrsuct / reconstruct proteins correctly.

Cheers, Flix

flixotide said:
pardon my intellectual absense, but virii have quite a wide array of working, and it shouldn't come to any surprise to me, if some virii (e.g. such as the WNV) could have an effect on the human body's ability to contrsuct / reconstruct proteins correctly.

Cheers, Flix

Were it to cause proteins to misfold there would be nothing folding could do about it really except add new ones for the virus to destroy the problem would lie in getting rid of the virus itself

My understanding is that the folding research WILL gain insight into how virii interact in the human body, in that they use the bodies cellular mechanisms to reproduce themselves. Read the links from the stanford front page, they sound more positive about viral diseases being better understood than some others, it's just people latch onto "the big C" as a prime reason to fold.

regards,

Road Warrior

Back