• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does your NF7 shut down and scream a two tone siren when out of spec vcore? Read this

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

timmyqwest

Disabled
Does your NF7 shut down and scream a two tone siren when out of spec vcore? Read this

I'm not going to go over my story again as it is in the email i sent to abit, hopefully i can get a reply quickly. What i do ask is if there are any other stories out there aside from mine, the grouch, and max0mus.

Here is the email i sent abit

A while back a managed to boot up my computer (NF7-s barton 2500+ 2x256 corsair ram) up while the ram wasnt seated properly. Needless to say it shorted out.

I replaced the RAM and the Motherboard but on a friends tip i didnt bother getting a new CPU. Well i got my new gear installed everything made sure it ran fine stock. I then decided it was time to overclock, as soon as i up'ed the vcore even just .05v it would crash when the system was put under stress (ie burn in/stability programs). The higher the vcore the sooner it would crash.

The system however wouldnt just freeze or reboot. The computer would shut down completely fans and everything and i would get a two tone siren.

Playing off of instinct i bought a XP1700. Now i'm running a hefty 1.9v with no issues.

I am a member of the www.overclockers.com forums and within the past week two people have started having the same problem. My question to you is what exactly does the "book" say about this. I've advised them of my problem and solution but i want know what abits stand on this is.

I am confident that this isnt an abit/motherboard issue however it is abits' warning system. There doesnt apear to be any documentation on any of the sirens.

So again, when the computer shuts down with a two tone siren on out of spec vcore, is this generally an issue with the CPU?

A quick reply would be greatly aprieciated

~tim aka timmyqwest~

Mine only did the two tone (sounds like a European police siren) when the CPU got overheated whenever the TMD fan on my CPU heatsink stopped working.

It is an out of spec condititon that causes this two tone alarm. In my case it was a critical overtemp condition on my CPU and the hardware safety shutdown kicked in after my 85c shutdown limit was reached and let me know loudly that something was very wrong with my system.

If it occurs with a vcore setting that is allowed in the BIOS, something isn't quite right. Turn off anything in the BIOS that alarms or shuts down after a voltage limit threshold has been reached. I didn't see anything but that BIOS has many layers I haven't even probed yet.

Dude i'm not going to argue with you, The symtoms here are not the same as you have described ok...i probed and probed the bios for many weeks, it's not all that deep.

I did my research before i went out and bought a new CPU.

Trust me ok...just, maybe if you could please?

Just to recap these are the chips we are using:

Me: Thoroughbred B 1700+ JIUHB 0319 DLT3C WPMW (from SVC)
Max: Barton 2500+ AQXDA 0314 MPMW
Timmy: Thoroughbred B 1700+ ????

Jeff7477 said:
It shuts down like that when you have the shutdown temp low and your temp goes beyond that.

I'm going to ignore these comments, we know what we speak of

the system shuts down, you have to restet the CMOS and the CPU doesnt even have time to heat up, infact i had it happen when my CPU read 30c...thats too hot huh?

The Grouch said:
Just to recap these are the chips we are using:

Me: Thoroughbred B 1700+ JIUHB 0319 DLT3C WPMW (from SVC)
Max: Barton 2500+ AQXDA 0314 MPMW
Timmy: Thoroughbred B 1700+ ????

Mine was a 2500+ but i have a feeling it's an indivdual problem, not exactly a chip problem. IE a faulty chip, or a user caused problem such as in my case

timmyqwest said:

I'm going to ignore these comments, we know what we speak of

the system shuts down, you have to restet the CMOS and the CPU doesnt even have time to heat up, infact i had it happen when my CPU read 30c...thats too hot huh?

then something is defect. thats too hard to figure out huh?

the point is that it took me a month and a half to figure out what the problem was

the point is that abit has no documentation of any of these sirens.

timmyqwest said:
the point is that abit has no documentation of any of these sirens.

^ True dat. :(

And regaurding temps. I've underclocked my CPU to 600 MHz and gotten temps down to around 27* and the board still does this when voltages are high. The board crashes almost immeadiatly after launching prime.

I'm intersted to hear what abit says about this.

If Abit doesn't get back to you guys soon I'd try an RMA if it isn't too late. My rig worked great right out of the box and your's should have too. Abit is supposed to have good support.

Is it the mobo or the CPU that's giving you the problem?

Audioaficionado said:
If Abit doesn't get back to you guys soon I'd try an RMA if it isn't too late. My rig worked great right out of the box and your's should have too. Abit is supposed to have good support.

Is it the mobo or the CPU that's giving you the problem?

Your really not getting it are you?

The whole point of emailing abit was to understand if the issue was the motherboard or the CPU

It certainly seems to be a cpu issue. I've had this problem with both my rev 2.0 and 1.2 boards which otherwise work flawlessly. Overvolting my 1600 pally works fine on both boards up to around 2.1 V (at which point the board just refuses to boot--a totally different symptom). I've only tested the t-bred on the 2.0 but it anytime the voltage goes north of around 1.65 it boots and then shuts off and does the siren thing. This had led me to believe that the CPU or some interaction between the CPU and the mobo is at fault.

i get this 2 tone siren when i post almost on completely random basis. sometimes i get it after fooling around in the bios, sometimes i get it from a cold start, and sometimes i get it when i'm messign with MBM5. however i never had a problem with it shutting down. this cpu i'm running is a 1700 DUT JIUHB at 2150mhz (215 x 10) with a vcore of 1.85 (mbm5 reads 1.8).

God dang.... that guy has some bad attitude.. seems worse than flamming/spamming the forum.

You're complaining about the siren?, then rip the damn speaker off. Or Don't install the temperature monitor program. Or raise the temperature setting to the *absolute maximum*. If you are talking about it in the BIOS, raise the temp limit to *absolute maximum*. These are your options.

I never get Abit's police siren since day 1. That's including all of the freaking abit NF7 series, rev1.0, rev1.1, rev1.2, rev2.0... AND the Non-Ses...

You wanna complain about your board, then RMA the damn board and shut up.... You whine too much like a cat..

Last edited:
timmyqwest said:
Your really not getting it are you?

The whole point of emailing abit was to understand if the issue was the motherboard or the CPU

I'm sorry you're having such a bad time with your rig but getting rude isn't going to fix it.

Maybe just step away from the rig until Abit gets back to you or just get another CPU.

Agreed.... treat Audioaficionado with some respect, damn it.... I see this thread as flaming trolling nitemare damn it....

Hey Guys,

I understand Timmy's fustration. I'm a pretty seasoned O/c and I can't explain why my "high" volts is causing my computer to reboot and siren away, even with all the "over-heat" protection max'd out or turned off.

Right now my comp is running stable as stated in my sig. But for some reason a high voltage ~1.8V causes my comp to turn off and siren away.

Could this be the CPU disconnect function in the BIOS? I didn't touch that setting yet since I don't understand it. Anyone have comments?

Could it be that the CPU thermal diode is faulty and sending false overheat signals?

Timmy,

Don't worry guy I understand your fustration. It's hard to come to these forums sometimes and get a bit of skepticism when one's on the "edge". Hope abit gives us an answer. I'm thinking it's a CPU problem since it doesn't seem as prolific among the NF7 users.

Back