• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does your NF7 shut down and scream a two tone siren when out of spec vcore? Read this

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just me 2cents....
I did an obvious mistake this past weekend when I thought there was an updated version of the NF7-S bios which brought up to 1.9 update... needless to say that I didn't pay attention to which boardversion Abit was posting it for... after updating my bios to v19, and rebooting , of course the bios threw up and nothing came on... Zapped bios chip isn't the greatest accomplishment I'd like to be known for, but I did receive my bioskit from excaliberpc, which I had to do a swap of the bios chip and reprogram the zapped one... When I pulled out my original bios chip out from the socket, (did this ever so carefully) I noticed 3 bent pins from the corner of the bios chip. carefully resetting them back into place, and resetting the bios chip carefully onto the socket, the reprogramming took place without incident. Mind you I couldn't get over 200FSB with the xp1700 0319 from SVC... I don't want to indicate that there might be a cause from the actual bios chip when it's been put in by the manufacturing plant, but it seems old that after straightening out those pins, on the original bios chip made a difference... maybe... I did have the same symtoms that you all have described here with the sirens and the rig not booting up after raising the vcore... but I also have two kt400 mobo (ABit AT7 MAX2 v1.2, and a FIC AN19-E) which I've check my xp1700 on... nothing abnormal with the cpu's performance on those boards. so, I can only described what I saw and what I did. So far no sirens, chip is back down to 220FSB, @v1.92 w/11.5multi. just my 2cents.

i skipped the last 2 pages. timmy. don't give an attitude to anyone like that. this is a public forum. nobody owes you any explanations. people here volunteer their time to help you. think about what you say before you flame a respected member of this community.

I would like an update on this. I have looked all around and there seem to be a lot of people having this problem. Some dont even know they have this problem. Its the CPU setting of 1.8V from a sufficient PS.

I have a hard time believing its the chip just because wouldnt this be a fluctuating problem and some chips would crap out at 1.775, some at 1.825 ect? As it is, 1.8 seems to be the wall.

If someone found an answer please update me or point me...I have read through these threads for about an hour now and cant find any real answers.

it's the CPU and the oversensitiveness of the motherboard... I have one of those chips and it looks like it deteriorates over time.. most people just RMA it off the bat but I stuck with mine and now i have to undervolt and underclock to keep it running =/ i'm going to RMA it as soon as I have time where I Can spend without a fast comp running

Why also does this problem not appear on all other motherboards if its the chip?

I dont mean this in response to you, I just mean in general, anyone know?

I just RMA 'd mine. The only thing it would run was fail safe defaults. If I tried 200 FSB , Sometimes it wouldn't even make it to Windows boefore shutdown. I tried everything. Oh yea - Solid rails from PSU.

i had a 1800+ before this 2500+ in the sig now. it was a dlt3c that would never take 1.8vcore, if i tried it. i always get the two tone siren and i would have to reset the cmos.
well now i have the barton 2500+ it's been up to 1.9vcore with no sirens and has been fine, with the same board.

so for me, it was the cpu not the board, but at the that time i was not sure, but i now it was just the cpu at it's limit on the vcore before crapping out

I posted previously here on the subject matter and didn't really find any solutions.

I think this is a real problem that's unrelated to similar siren-producing problems. Hopefully, my machine should dispel a few of the proposed suspects: Temps are great (MBM reports around 12 C) and voltages have been checked by both BIOS and a multimeter. This is NOT a heat/power issue.

I'm not sure if it's related, but I've also had problems getting a high FSB out of this proc. I seem to max out around 185 Mhz, when the RAM and northbridge officially support much more. Just something I've noticed.

Anyways, I really don't want to replace this processor, as I don't want to risk ending up with the same problem again. My only idea is that pin-modding the proc to default at 166 or 200 Mhz may help the voltage tolerance by tricking the mobo into thinking it's a different processor. It's a guess--I hesitate to try it b/c of the pain involved with the phase-change mounting system. I hope we can resolve this problem.

Back