• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone heard of this PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuperDave1685

Hey there guys. This is my first post in this particular forum. i just built a backup system with this stuff in it:

Shuttle AV18E mobo
Celeron 1.4 @ 1.51 GHz at 1.5v
256MB SDRAM
40 and 80GB Western Digital HD's
SB Audigy MP3+
Intel Hardware modem
GeForce 4 Ti4200 128MB
52x CD-ROM and 40X CDRW

I don't plan on o/c'ing this rig, as it'll be my backup rig. I stole the PSU from a friend of mine's old Pentium II system. It says on the side that its rated at 300W. The brand is Deer. I have never heard of this brand. Has anyone else heard of Deer PSU's? has anyone ever used a Deer PSU? If so, whats your opinion? Thanks guys!

Deer PSU's are definately bottom of the barrel, ranking probably worst or close to. I had a 300W like yours, but it was in a K6/233 rig where power wasn't exactly utmost priority. Ir worked fine, but the voltage rails fluctuated way too much (5V was often 4.3 - 5.9V, 12V was 10.9-13.1V).

They are synonymous with Allied, another maker of crap PSU's.

That system you mentioned is moderately power consuming, and you may get by with that PSU until you can find a better solution.

Beware when power supply's go bad-- they sometimes literally blow up (capacitors will burst), even the insides can melt or catch on fire. Sometimes they die a silent or unnoticed death.

I would not want any of the above happening to me, so I suggest throwing down some $ on a new one. Newegg sells Fortron 350W PSU's for 32$ + change for shipping. These suckers are quite powerful (powers my Barton @ 2.32ghz + 1.85vcore, 3 hard drives, 11 80mm fans, 2 optical storage devices, o/ced radeon 9500pro, etc), and at this price they can't be beat.

Thanks guys. I got an Antec 350W here. But I plan on using that in my P4 rig I have on the way. And I'm also flat out broke:( I have $1 in my wallet and thats it. Sooooo I guess I'll have to wait till next Monday or Tuesday till my P4, mobo and ram come in. I really don't have a choice- this PSU is all I have to spare. Thanks for the input though!

Well guys I just checked the voltages on this thing and believe it or not, this this is actually putting out 5.2v on the 5v line, 3.4v on the 3.3v line, and 12.6v on the 12v line. I guess thats what yall call overvolting. Well I guess as long as it stays above or at the rated line voltages, I guess it'll be ok till I get my Antec 350W in here. I don't think this PSU has been used very much. Could this cause it to maybe perform a little better than expected?

With luck the Deer will hold until you get something better in there, but given the amazingly bad track record from them I would get something better when you can. When they blow, and they blow often, they frequently take other components with them. If I showed you the innards of my Deer 250 you'd get nightmares ;)

Aye... I'd be hard pressed to think of a power supply with a worse reputation than Deer. Maybe powmax, but that's just because of personal issues with them =p. Stay far, far away from a Deer. Unless of course you are talking about lawn mowers or such.

Back