• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a new monster, high end build for 4k/oculus gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I am pretty sure that dual 980ti's wlll not be able to satisfactorily drive three 4K monitors under gaming conditions. You might try looking into three 1440p monitors, preferably IPS, with G-Sync and a high refresh rate like the upcoming ROG Swift PG279Q with 2560 x 1440 resolution, 165 Hz refresh rate, IPS, G-Sync, and a 4ms response time.

I am pretty sure that dual 980ti's wlll not be able to satisfactorily drive three 4K monitors under gaming conditions. You might try looking into three 1440p monitors, preferably IPS, with G-Sync and a high refresh rate like the upcoming ROG Swift PG279Q with 2560 x 1440 resolution, 165 Hz refresh rate, IPS, G-Sync, and a 4ms response time.

Yeah, 1440p was a given. Sorry for not making that clear. I definitely won't be trying to drive 3 4k monitors lol. Those are the monitors that I want, but they put me a good ways over budget. I can make it work but I have to downgrade from the 8 core chip to the 6 core chip to do it. Is it worth it?

My choices are the 6 core chip and 3 of these monitors: Asus Swift 144hz Gsync monitor

Or

The 8 core chip and 3 of either of these: ASUS PB258Q or Dell U2515H

The end point for all the hardware is the monitors, so it makes sense to go with the best I can get. My goal is to future proof as much as possible though and I'm not sure if I'll be doing that with the 6 core.

Last edited:
Can't look at cores as opposed to threads. 12 threads is likely to be just as good for gaming as 16 threads (being easier to overclock I'd imagine the 6 core is better).

What kind of games are you trying to play here? For race Sims I strongly recommend the 144hz variants.

I would think G-Sync is the most important, since with 3 monitors you can't guarantee that you can push out 60 frames per second under all circumstances. I would chose an IPS screen (more vivid colors) over a high refresh rate screen (with the number of pixels you are moving you would be lucky to get over 60 fps in games), but one doesn't preclude the other as I mentioned in my earlier post. A 6 core CPU should overclock better than the 8 core and you won't lose any speed when it comes to gaming (that might change when games switch to DX12, I can't predict what might happen there).

Can't look at cores as opposed to threads. 12 threads is likely to be just as good for gaming as 16 threads (being easier to overclock I'd imagine the 6 core is better).

What kind of games are you trying to play here? For race Sims I strongly recommend the 144hz variants.

The list of games I don't play is probably shorter and I think it's just Sudoku... In all seriousness I play a lot of MMO's, RPG's, some FPS games and am looking forward to playing Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous.

I would think G-Sync is the most important, since with 3 monitors you can't guarantee that you can push out 60 frames per second under all circumstances. I would chose an IPS screen (more vivid colors) over a high refresh rate screen (with the number of pixels you are moving you would be lucky to get over 60 fps in games), but one doesn't preclude the other as I mentioned in my earlier post. A 6 core CPU should overclock better than the 8 core and you won't lose any speed when it comes to gaming (that might change when games switch to DX12, I can't predict what might happen there).

I read your post several times while doing research and I honestly think you're right. I probably could drive 3 of these around 60 fps with a tri-SLI rig, but VRAM could be an issue and although Titan's solve that issue I'm not impressed with their performance or the price. I'd also have to give up all of the peripherals I want to get it. The numbers I saw put 4k at around 8.3 megapixels and triple 1440p at around 11 megapixels. I know there are guys out there with monster 3 monitor setups but I don't know how they're powering them and if they're triple 1080p or 1440p. Maybe they're just cranking the settings down?

I'm honestly not sure which way to go right now. There are more ultrawide and 4k monitors coming out in December/January, some even have G-sync. The smart thing to do would be to wait, but honestly I'm pretty terrible at that...

Doh!

I kind of said @$%$ it on the budget...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($559.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220-X 55.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($207.99 @ Amazon)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.39 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock X99 WS-E EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($414.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($234.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($343.26 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB HYBRID Video Card (3-Way SLI) ($719.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB HYBRID Video Card (3-Way SLI) ($719.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Thermaltake Core X9 ATX Desktop Case ($145.85 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($202.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q 144Hz 27.0" Monitor ($625.61 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Wired Gaming Keyboard ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Other: Saitek Pro X-55 ($200.00)
Other: Volair Sim ($595.00)
Other: Arctic Silver ($7.00)
Total: $7155.23
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-14 02:54 EDT-0400

I really hope NVIDIA works well with your VR...as it stands, I hear lots of horror stories about latency, hence why I recommended AMD above.

Enjoy!!

So I'm assuming you bought that list?

Not as of yet, this is a final check before I start dropping coin.

I really hope NVIDIA works well with your VR...as it stands, I hear lots of horror stories about latency, hence why I recommended AMD above.

Enjoy!!

I'll do some more research before I pull the trigger. I played for the red team on my last build and have some horror stories of my own when it came to AMD drivers. We're still a few months away from a consumer release with the rift. Nvidia has a decent track record of getting their act together when it comes to drivers. To my knowledge they haven't come out and said anything about not planning to support VR, so it may just be a matter of waiting until it's closer to release. That's all entirely speculation on my part though and you may be absolutely right.

I'll do some more research before I pull the trigger. I played for the red team on my last build and have some horror stories of my own when it came to AMD drivers. We're still a few months away from a consumer release with the rift. Nvidia has a decent track record of getting their act together when it comes to drivers. To my knowledge they haven't come out and said anything about not planning to support VR, so it may just be a matter of waiting until it's closer to release. That's all entirely speculation on my part though and you may be absolutely right.
Im not saying they won't/don't support it, but VR is AMD's baby now. It sure would be a shame to plunk down $2K+ worth of GPUs for them to not work properly with VR. As I said, there were latency issues (this was as of July, note) on NVIDIA making the experience not as good. Then again, this was right from AMD...

I would go NVidia regardless of VR issues when considering multi-card solutions, simply for heat reasons. The way I understand it, NV's latency issue is driver-based anyway, so they should be able to correct it fairly quickly.

980Ti and Fury X are the same board power (~250W).

They have had since July and haven't done it yet. I do hope that is correct and they come around sooner rather than later. :)

980Ti and Fury X are the same board power (~250W).

They have had since July and haven't done it yet. I do hope that is correct and they come around sooner rather than later. :)

The Rift isn't out yet, so they still have time. Heck, by the time it is released, we'll see the new lineup of cards for next year, and we'll know for sure which way to go.

Indeed they have time. Not sure Pascal will be out by then (they are 2-3Q 2016 latest I heard), but I hear ya! :)

Hey, you are perfectly welcome to share some of that budget LOL. kidding.
*wonder how much plasma I would need to donate.......never mind.......that would take a decade*

What budget? I'm over it by like $1500 at this point...

Check out these monitors since you've upped your budget:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xb270hu.htm

Also, no need to buy AS5, the Swiftech should come with some good paste.

Good to know about the AS5, I think I actually still have half a tube from a build I did a month ago.

As for the monitors, what did I ever do to you!?! You really want to see a brother sleep on the couch don't you? Somehow I didn't notice the swifts were a TN panel instead of IPS...

Back