• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new CPU ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fubar9of9

Registered
Hi I have just read the sticky on CPUs and could not find mine on there, this is it , what is it ?

AXDA2100DUT3C AIUHB 0302 upkw

is this a good one to OC I am new at all this, the rig that I put tother, how do you think this will oc?

2100+ cpu
Volcano 7+
Antec 1040
Antec True power 480
Epox 8RDA
2x 256MB pc3200 TwinMos
Radeon 9500 pro
Audigy Platinum
2x WD 80GB se harddrives
sony 26x DVD
Plextor 32x12x46x cdrw
2x 80mm fans in
2x 80mm fans out + PSU
Thanks for any thoughts.

Guide to numbers on your CPU.

http://lowyat.isentral.com/guides/athlonxp/

This link will tell you everything you need to know.
Use the link to check your numbers to see which one you have.

IMHO, you got the pick of the litter and the best deal on the AMD CPU's is the Athalon XP 2100+, $72. with free shipping from newegg. Most all 2100's are downgraded 26 & 2700, I ordered two from newegg, boxed version, and got two downgraded 2600 B core T'breds. Order boxed and you get the AMD three year warranty.

Normal speed for a 2100 is 1733MHz, all I do is set the fsb to 166 with default BIOS settings and I get 2166MHz no sweat and Device Mgr shows me a 2700. Set the fsb to 133 and you get a 2100. Only drawback is at 2166MHz 45C the internal CPU temps runs around six degrees warmer than the 2100 setting 38C.

Yup, you got the rite one so jam on it and have fun.
OldBird

by the looks of it, you've got a sweet setup... the volcano 7+ might hinder you a bit on the higher scale of OC'ing, but try this, set it up at default settings(vcore, vdimm), then change the fsb to 166 and see if your rig will run @2158, run some tests on it to stress it... then up the fsb untill you find that your 2100 will not load up to XP destop stable... then tweak with your vcore, a step at a time... write everything down then you'll get a baseline for that cpu. got www.majorgeeks.com for some bench mark utilities
good luck man.

Hi thanks guys Huneycutt said that at 2100 his cpu temp is 38c
mine is runing at 41c Idel.
Is there a way to bring the temps down some more,I used Arctic silver,but like I said I am new at all of this.
thanks for the info.

ok I went up to 166 = 334 FSB, and my cpu if 43.5c in Sandra
and 44.5 in BISO.When Idel. Is This is to hot?When I start to play Games is this going to get to hot,and
Every were That I read people are starting with a lot lower temps.
what can I do ?
any info would be helpfull.
Thanks.

I just checked me temps in sandra 46c Idel
Biso 45.5 IDEL is this to hot? most people have these temps at
FULL load?
Help Please.

you need to find out what volt you are running the cpu at. sandra can tell you what the board is reading, but check in the bios at what you have it set to. it should be about...1.5-1.9 to give you an idea what kind of number it is.

and it is bios, and idle. my cpu with the volcano 9 idles around 43 in a warm apartment at 1.55 volts.

as far as bringing your temps down, make sure you have very little arctic silver on there. too much will hurt your temp and could ruin your chip if it runs off the die. you want to have an almost clear film on the chip for best results. so dab like a dot the size of a grain of rice or half a bb to get best results. also, the volcano 7+ is not a bad cooler, but not the best for cool temps. a lot of people here use the thermalright slk-800 which runs around $35 or the sk-7 which runs around $20. you can get them at www.svc.com run these with a good fan and your temps should go down some.

Cooled that puppy down but good.

Decided to try a trick. Took a 120mm fan and mounted it on the CPU, don't know the CFM, but it is very quiet. Went to Eckerds and bought a small desk fan for $7.99, left the side off the case and pointed the fan on low speed in the computer. Seeing 35C at idle, 40C loaded. Don't get much better n' that . . .

Here in Southern SC it gets some more hot in the summer and for the time being I'm leaving it like that. Dust? I clean the inside about once every two - three months anyway. It's running quiet and cool and I llke quiet.

Said this before, your volcano 7+ is what will hinder your cpu to further your oc'ing. You want to cool down your cpu, then you'll need a better cooler, sk-7 from thermalright, goto newegg.com to see it, and check out the review links. Also, might want to purchase the SMARTFAN II, which you can control the amount of airflow.... If you can get a good deal, goto pricewatch, an compare prices on the sk7 or the slk-800a.... you might see what it looks like and then make a desicion. but your volcano 7+ is doing what it was designed for, to cool that cpu within its own specs... remember, the higher in FSB you come an increase in temp to the cpu as you raise the vcore voltage. For now, just find a spot (setting) for you tbred, and see if all your games work without crashing or locking up your system. you should be fine.

that's a goodchip. the cooling is going to hurt you. especially with an 8rda. if you want to overclock you should do some nice cooling on the northbridge and ossibly the mosfets nearthe cpu. once that's done you can take the original northbridge cooler and slap it on the south brdige. all in all that board is very capable and before the abit nf7's that was prolly the overclocking king.

Re: Cooled that puppy down but good.

huneycutt said:
Decided to try a trick. Took a 120mm fan and mounted it on the CPU, don't know the CFM, but it is very quiet. Went to Eckerds and bought a small desk fan for $7.99, left the side off the case and pointed the fan on low speed in the computer. Seeing 35C at idle, 40C loaded. Don't get much better n' that . . .

Here in Southern SC it gets some more hot in the summer and for the time being I'm leaving it like that. Dust? I clean the inside about once every two - three months anyway. It's running quiet and cool and I llke quiet.

Well, that's the classic way to show that your case is a heat bottle. That's about what I have when I crank my CPU down to 2gHz with the case closed. Of course I have a fan on the side window blowing directly on the cpu fan. The cpu gets ambient temp air and that's the key to good cooling. You water and freon guys can snicker now...........:mad::cool:

"Well, that's the classic way to show that your case is a heat bottle."

Not necessarily so. I should think taking the side off any case and using a small floor fan in the prescribed manner would assuredly drop the temps.

Heat Bottle? Hmmm . . .
My case has three 80mm vents, one in back, one on the side & bottom front. Metal cases said to dissipate heat better. http://store.yahoo.com/4itech/epatatxmid42.html
A mercury thermometer in top of the closed case shows internal case temp of 90F, ambient 78F. Twelve degrees warmer isn't that bad. You are correct, the side vent will blow air on the CPU if used for intake.

If I use the fan that came with the EverCool HS, two exaust & one front intake, the CPU & MB temps are about the same as if I use the side vent for intake. (All fans 30CFM.) Include the PS and video chip fan, that makes FIVE fans going and temps within acceptable parameters but WAY to much noise for me.

I "omit" it, having the side off looks funky, but this is my computer cave and if someone doesn't like the way it looks, don't let the door hit them in the butt on the way out. . .
Personally I like looking at the inside seeing all them cute little molecules running up and down, to and fro doing their little computer thing. Shoot, I even like the way it smells inside.

Easy way out is set the fsb 133 and run the 2100 @ 1733MHz like it suppose to run where it runs cool. But shucks, that ain't no fun a'tall . . . .
If you ain't livin' on the edge move over.
OldBird

Last edited:
fubar9of9 said:
Hi thanks guys Huneycutt said that at 2100 his cpu temp is 38c
mine is runing at 41c Idel.
Is there a way to bring the temps down some more,I used Arctic silver,but like I said I am new at all of this.
thanks for the info.

Fubar, I wouldn't let three degrees worry me because at 41C you're a long way from the "to hot" danger zone. Ain't no way around it, if you're going to OC then you have the heat to cope with. Easy way out, leave the side off and use a small desk fan. Keeps the HDD and everything inside nice and cool to. See post below by Sanford1. Summer only serves to aggrivate the heat thing so we have to deal with it the best we can.

That's the beauty of forums, exchanging ideas and learning from one another. We're all tinkerers and inventors at heart or we wouldn't be here in the first place. DUUHH? In another forum a rookie said he didn't like to ask dumb questions. I never heard a dumb question from anyone who didn't know because from the cradle to the grave life is a learning process. The day this OdBird stops learning they'll throw dirt in my face.

Those of you in the prime of life are indeed fortunate to get into computers while you're young and I envy you your youth because I was 62 when I built my first one.

Last edited:
well I want to newegg and got the 800A ,I thouth that I got the 800u I XXXXXX up but I did get the Smart Case fan II .
How hard is it to lap a heat sink ? should some one as new to all this as I am try it ?thanks for the help.

How to lap a heat sink.

http://www.taconuts.org/articles/2001/04/15/page1.php

THere you go Fubar, have at it and have fun.
TIP: Anytime you have a question go to ask.com and punch the question in. I used "how to lap a heat sink" and "lapping a heat sink". Most of the time Jeeves will give an answer.

Best I know a HS should have an almost mirror like finish and I could shave in the copper EverCool I bought. I guess you know, leave the CPU die alone, don't go sanding or lapping on it. If it's already been used then follow the directions here to remove the old compound. http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Be real particular applying the new compound, whatever kind.
http://www.overclockers.com/tips692/
I thought this was neat because it shows how very little compound you need, the thickness of Scotch tape.

Don't put compound on the die, just the HS and don't dare move the HS once you put it in place. Don't touch the CPU with your bare nekid fingers, I use a baggie to handle it and always beware the ESD demon. Lot's to learn and by doing extensive research in different articles you'll get a handle on it. Better to know before you begin than after because hind sight is always 20/20. I commend you for doing your research before you jump in with both feet. Smart person . . . .

When you fire that bad boy off don't get excited if the CPU temps look higher than expected, give it a 24 hour burn-in and the temp should come down. Start by running the CPU at normal speed and after the burn-in kick it up a notch, run it awhile at that speed then kick it up again 'til you get where you want to be. First sign of instability, lock-ups, etc, back the speed off to where it was stable because if it's unstable it ain't happy.

Last edited:
Back