• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mosfet cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rlx220

Registered
i have seen some people mention cooling their mosfets, does that have any affect on the nf7-s' stability. What i mean is do you get a better overclock out of it?

If your are running any Vmods or running most of the voltages at or near the max the mosfets get quite hot so installing heatsinks can help stabilize your voltages. I cut up some ram sinks and used thermal tape to attach them. Did it help?... well what I can say for sure is the mosfets don't get hot.

It's a easy mod to do if you got some small heatsink around. It helps to stabilize the voltages alittle in my opinion. I mounted heatsinks to my mosfets before i turned it on for the first time because like i said it's a simple mod.

cap0001.jpg

Artic Alumina Epoxy. The larger heatsink came from a thermaltake GF4 cooler kit, while the smaller ones i had to cut in half from ramsinks that came with the Iceberq 4 video cooler kit

Are those the small heatsinks from Iceberq 4 cut in half? They look just like the ones on my Mosfets.

bah just water cool them (that was a joke btw)

think i might go get some ram HS and cut them and mod mine too since i plan on doing the south bridge anyways might as well go all the way =)

q149 said:
Are those the small heatsinks from Iceberq 4 cut in half? They look just like the ones on my Mosfets.

Yes they are. I used every bit of the iceberq 4 cooler kit except the heatsink sink itself....lol I thought it would fit on my northbridge but it was too big, so i took the blue led fan off it and modded it to my original Iceberq instead (slightly higher CFM rating on the iceberq4 fan) :D The ramsinks were cut in half and mounted to my mosfet as shown. The left overs where mounted to my video card.

fan.jpg

The top ramsinks are from the iceberq 4. the bottom ones are cut out from the ramsinks that came with the thermaltake copper GF4 cooler kit.

I used them on my mosfets and vreg chip.. I don't even use the actual heatsink... i found it to suck *** even after i gutted it and put on a good 40mm fan, and it has 3 holes in it that wouild all be on the top of the NB chip and i would think create some very bad hot spots.. since it's made for small core radeons so the holes are not on the chip on those. Is the regular iceberq better you think? like is it heavier and stuff.. i would imagine it sucks, espeacially if the fan is even worse than icberq 4 fan lol.. i don't think it could even blow an eyelash off a piece of glass.

See Page 4 or Rojak's NF7-S V2.0 review here. According to him, the 3-phase design of the boards power circuitry causes the fets to max at 38C unlike other mobos. Apparently the need for any passive cooling is unnecessary.

q149, the northbridge on my nf7-s is cooled by the Iceberq 1 not 4, there's no holes in it. It's been modded with the higher rated iceberq 4 fan. If you look at the stock nb heatsink/fan you'll notice it's exactly like the iceberq 1, identical shape and size. Except mines is made of copper and with the help of the higher cfm fan and copper heatsink should be a better performer than stock at least.

Back