• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

There and back Again - Or why not to buy a Geforce FX 5900

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AMD_Me

(DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A FLAME WAR)

About 3 days ago I bought a Geforce FX 5900 Ultra. I had reached this decision looking at (Probably cheated) benchmarks. As soon as i put it in my system, my CPU temp went up 3c off of my 9700 PRO. My stable overclock dropped from 3500MHz on a 2.4c down to about 3200 because of the heat being dumped right in front of the NB. On a clean install of windows, I install Coolbits registry hack. Lo and behold, a core clock/memory clock increase to 535/940MHz off of 450/850 stock respectively gained me only 100 points in 3Dmark03. The card, at stock speeds, gained me a negative 500 point increase (decrease!) in 3dmark01 compared to my Radeon 9700 PRO @ 380/680. The real shock came when I used FRAPS. In segments of 4xaa/8xaf (which looks like horse**** on a 5900 Ultra) I got around 15FPS in Firefights similar to ones I used to get 25FPS in with 6xaa/16xaf ON MY OVERCLOCKED 9700 PRO! Not to mention this card costs $100 more than a 9800 PRO for lesser performance in games, even when comparing the 9800 PRO at stock to my maximum overclock on the 5900 Ultra.

Before the 9700 PRO, I was a die hard nVidia fan. I tried an ATi card with the cat 2.5s and loved it. I thought the 5900 ultra would be faster than the 9800 PRO when I bought it (I upgraded for virtually no money). I should have listened to what everyone on the forums said about the 5900 ultra. Once a snake, always a snake nVidia. I am RMAing the card today. I was there, and I am coming back to ATi again. I was an nVidiot, but am no longer. The king is dead. Long live the king.

(DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A FLAME WAR)

Yeah there was another guy at the Rage3d forums who bought a 9800pro and a 5900U and tested them both. He likes the 9800pro a lot more. He said the 5900U didnt look as good and wasnt really faster.

Thanks for the info... this may keep some people from making the same mistake and spending $500 on little to no improvement. Guess we will wait for NV40 maybe Nvidia will get its act together.

Most of these threads crack me up, nV had the lead for what, 4 years? I think the last time they were out of the number one slot was when the Voodoo3's were out. The 9000 series was the first time ATI has gotten the drivers to work in two years, even the highly toughted old original Radeons never had a good z-buffer. So now nV is folding up like a house of cards huh?

Please, I know the nVidiots of old have many of you still left with a score to settle but in the end it just makes you look as dumb as they were.

Some do never change, they might get a new card but they will spout the same crap, just now about the new company.

Back