• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to use an AT power supply without a board??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Turando

Title says it all, i need to run an AT power supply Without having it on a board, im sure there was a post about this but i cannot find it.

Cheers, Turando

i thought that AT's just turned on when you flip the switch, unlike the ATX which need the green lead on the atx-plug grounded

lol, to be honets i never actully tried,coudlent be botered to get it out the cuboard;) thanks for the replys, i couldent remember which type needed modding, im all sorted now tho, thanks;)

ps. im on a crappy keyboard at the mo so my typing is screwed, tipped a cup of coffee all over my natural;(

Cheers, Turando

Some AT supplies will not power up without seeing the load of the motherboard though. It's about half and half between AT's that will power without a mb and those that won't. Telling an AT supply is always as easy as throwing the switch, but at times they don't answer the call without a mb attached.

Most of the AT PSUs I've seen didn't have a switch on them but instead had a thick cable that required 4 wires to be connected to a high-voltage, high-current switch, and if the wires are connected wrong, you could create a direct short between the AC lines. :(

Do you mean connecting pins 14 and 15 of the ATX supply to make it run? Because connecting pin 4 to 5 would cause a short on the +5V rail.

Almost all the AT supplies I've tried wouldn't run without a load resistor on the +5V rail (between red and black wires), and it had to have pretty low resistance, like 3-5 ohms, which also meant it had to be rated for at least 20 watts to not get hot enough to melt plastic or sear skin.

Back