• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where do I get good blocks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Illah

I'm in the market for some new stuff. What are some good stores besides D-Tek and Danger Den? Price is an issue for me, so what are some good budget blocks with 1/2" fittings?

Thanks.

--Illah

You may consider the Gemini cool blocks at case-mod.com. They've got 3/8" fittings only, but are less than half the cost of the others.

Yeah, the 3/8" thing is the issue, otherwise I would jump on a Gemini for sure. I want this to be as much of a drop-in upgrade as possible.

I've heard of swapping out the fittings for 1/2", how would that be done without destroying the block? Aren't the fittings glued in?

I'll check out cooltechnica too, thanks.

--Illah

The WW are nice, but a bit out of my price range. Plus I'd have to overhaul my system with wyes and more tubing to accomidate the dual-return hoses...

I was thinking Maze3 or Gemini (if it's easy to mod the barbs).

Whats a good GPU block for 9700pros that is pre-fit for the shim?

--Illah

If a Maze3 is within your price range, might as well go for the Maze4. I should be getting a Swiftech MCW50 today, which is pre-fit for the shim, cost me $38.50, can't really get any cheaper than that unfortunately.

I heard Maze4's were worse than the maze3. It's not really an upgrade, more like a model number (think GF4MX).

--Illah

I think that they tend to perform more or less the same. May not be an upgrade, but not a downgrade either. I don't know of any places that sell the Maze3, aside from Dangerden anymore, and its a couple of bucks more than for what a Maze4 can be had at.

Checkout liquidcooling.com. They have slitedge blocks there rated higher than the Maze3 orMaze4, and occaisionally have sales. I snagged a slitedge block for $30 this week. Can't beat that for the money.

Mike

mikesm said:
Checkout liquidcooling.com. They have slitedge blocks there rated higher than the Maze3 orMaze4, and occaisionally have sales. I snagged a slitedge block for $30 this week. Can't beat that for the money.

Mike

Wow, that would be an excellent option. But they're back to $45 now :(. Still not a bad choice at all; a notch above the Maze3/4.

Yeah, well I kind of accepted that I'm gonna pay $40+ for a block. I figure a good one now won't ever need to be upgraded (realistically there is a limit of what you can do, unless they double in size and quadrouple in waterflow).

So for the Swifty MCW50, does it's aluminum top make a difference? Right now there's a mix in my system and I know some corrosion has taken place. Also, there's no barbs? Anyone have one of these?

--Illah

there's no way the maze4 is worse than the maze3, where did you hear that?

and do you have anything in your water to prevent corrosion?

you can get a maze4 here for $35.99, you get the nylon hold-down kit though, instead of the screws

Interesting... I've been looking for indicative Maze4 reviews, but that's the first I've seen. Does look the Maze3 is your best bet.

The Swiftech MCW50 has quick connect fittings, for 1/2" OD tubing. They sell fittings for the 1/2" ID tubing that most of us use. I wouldn't think that you'd have any problems with mixing metals as long as you've got anitfreeze or some other additive.

I was thinking of an all swifty setup - they got low flow resistance and I got a Danner3 which puts out mad flow even in a restrictive environment. Plus it has a bubble-prevention system and that's been a problem for me with my current setup.

--Illah

The MCW5000 would also be quite a nice choice for your CPU. But along with fittings it would only be a few dollars less than a White Water...don't you just love how these things build up? ;) You may also want to look into the D-Tek TC-4 and Spir@l, any of these choices would be very good. It should be possible to mod the Gemini though. You could get some reducers from a hardware store, even if you can't replace the fittings on the block.

Well I could ghetto-mod a gemini. Get 1' of 3/8 hose and some reducers. Or not even reducers, just 1/2" couplers and stretch the tubes.

Actually I think I'll do that... My danner is the muscle car of pumps, I'll probably still push hundreds of GPH despite the pressure. I just gotta make sure there's be enough room with all the additions. The turn from the CPU to the Vid Card will be sketchy with all sorts of reducers/couplers in there...

--Illah

I just decided on Casemod. A CPU & vid card block, a foot or two of some 3/8" tubing and some reducers is about $50 - that's a crazy good value. Another block may perform a degree or two better, but it would cost as much as all of this together!

Thanks for the help guys.

--Sean

Back