• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

so...testing seti

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

new_novice

well anyway, I'm testing out Arkaine CDrom only crunching and was wondering what do I need to do to enter the SETI infos? all I did was ./seti* and it appears to went out and got stuff, now it's crunching, but no where does it ask me for team numbers? :D thanks for the help guys.

I fold mostly though, just wanna try out and support both of our projects :D It's running on a AMD 1.9 Ghz, it's on a chip that I messed up unlocking, a 2100+ running at 100 FSB.

It should be going for user Arkaine23!

If you want to do your own config, run the command-

cfgseti

All seti files are in /home/knoppix/seti if you need to examine them.

Might want to run the command-

foldoff

just to make sure folding@home is not running.

PS- new version of overclockix now has firebird, mplayer, ogle, openoffice 1.1, and much more desktop tweaking goodness.

hey ARK, I have the newest CD the epolion? and just a suggestion, I think it would be best if in each of the directory, ie.. fold or seti, there should be a text readme either pointing to where the howtos are kept or a quick instruction of how to change things. Might make it more user friendly, or maybe I'm just "not up to speed" on these things :D

thanks

edit: and how to cache the Wus, if that's possible? I want to cache maybe 10 or such...

Seti doesn't work quite the same way as Folding. With Seti you first create your personal account the first time you run the program. They identify you by the email address you supply. They will then email you a password which you must keep - it can't be changed. From there on out when you run a client you enter your email address and that will credit the work done to your account. If you decide to join a team you visit the Seti web site and join the team. This adds your account and all of your work unit credit to the team. If you leave the team all of your work units go with your account. I believe the way Arkaine setup the seti client with the knoppix cd is by default you will be working for his Seti account. To set it up for your own account you need to either edit the user_info.sah file, or run his setup script. You need to look at this thread for more details:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=217151

Yeah, I can see about that, maybe even make a little webpage that loads at startup....

All documentation is in /home/knoppix/Desktop/Info. Or if you're in KDE (the default GUI), its in the Info folder on the desktop.

The newest one is still compressing on my hdd. I'll post a link later tonight when the upload is done.

Yes, that is probably possible. If its a windows app, you can probably save it in your ramdisk (/home/knoppix) and use wine to run it. Wine has some problems right now because a lot of fonts it needs are not on the CD, or are not in the right location. Gnerally if you knopw which font the app your running uses, you can place it in /home/knoppix/.wine/fake-windows/Windows/Fonts

You probably wouldn't want seti queue on the diskless box. I'd install it on a full machine somewhere on your lan.

I tried the que thing on permanent on rig and don't know how to set it up, even read the instruction didn't help....I changed the que server to the rig that it's on permanently but can't seem to get any wus from berkeley to que, does the default install ok for it or I need to change something?

I would do it this way:

Install seti queue on another machine on your network, one running windows.

Now run:

setionproxy IP_ADDY:port

where IP_ADDY:port is the IP address and port number to connect to your win box with seti queue.

Overclockix iso

http://overclockix.octeams.com

There are now 2 iso's available, Eidolon and Technomancer.

Technomancer features fewer network security apps, but has newer software. It also has Firebird, Mplayer, Ogle, some new karamba themes, and transperancy for fluxbox.

It's uploading now, and will be available around 11PM CST 8/19/03.

Last edited:
Seti Queue doesn't start downloading work units for a cache until a client first contacts it.

Back