• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Info on GFD's (up2Tim)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Murphy

Here's a copy from a mail I send as a reaction to up2Tim's mail about buying GFD's, but I want to share this info with all of you (and count to my post limit, going for star 5, hehe!): HERE IT IS!

About the GFD: they come generally in TWO versions: ones that need external voltage (molex connector supplied in most of the cases0 and some that don't need, because they draw voltage from the CPU. The later kind of GFD were later in the proces developed, because all the golden fingers weren't identified in the beginning. Needless to say, the ones without need for external voltage bring less hassle in your case. I have one without need for voltage and it performs real well, never a problem with it. I use the TweakingDevice V2.00 (2.00 because of version 1.00 requiering voltage). A very small print (4x4 cm), with 8 dips. I can shut down, pull it off, give setting, put back on and power up. SIMPLICITY!

I've done some research on internet before I bought it, here are some links:

http://www.tech-report.com/faq/athlon-3.x#golden (athlon slot-a faq, the important part)

http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2000q1/gf-roundup/ (a LOT of GFD compared)

http://www.anative.com/goldfinger/gfbg.htm (even more GFD, just to compare, mine looks like innovatek V2.00)

Also see if you are air cooled, the GFD won't obstruct airflow from your cooler. Hope you can get one for a decent price. If an overclockers store isn't near for you (as for most people), internet can help you with some online offering on overclockers sites. Succes on overclocking your Slot-A 650!

Greetings,
Rob 8) (aka Murphy)

>From: up2Tim
>To: Murphy
>Subject: what GFD do you reccomend?
>Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 18:22:48 -0500
>
>I was reading one of your responses and I see that you are a Slot A fan. I am putting together a puter for OC'ing and I'm using a Asus K7V mobo w/ 650 Athlon. I've been looking at some of the different GFD's and am wondering which one is the best (if there is a diff?). If you don't mind I might pick your brain from time to time as I go through this process for the first time. Any help is much appreciated.
>
>
>Powered by UltraBoard 2000

Thanks Murphy, I appreciate the info you forwarded to me. It answered a lot of questions. I ordered one of those version 2 GFD's and I will be back to pick your brain some more, I'm sure, when it gets here.
The new hard drive went bad and had to RMA it so I'm on my back up now. I wanted to do some stuff to my Asus v6800 deluxe video card anyway, so this gives me a chance to take the thing back apart and tinker w/ it. I'm gonna put some more cooling on it and do the Quadro mod if I can get my hand steady (those resistors are soooo small).

up2Tim (May 19, 2001 10:59 a.m.):
Thanks Murphy, I appreciate the info you forwarded to me. It answered a lot of questions. I ordered one of those version 2 GFD's and I will be back to pick your brain some more, I'm sure, when it gets here.
The new hard drive went bad and had to RMA it so I'm on my back up now. I wanted to do some stuff to my Asus v6800 deluxe video card anyway, so this gives me a chance to take the thing back apart and tinker w/ it. I'm gonna put some more cooling on it and do the Quadro mod if I can get my hand steady (those resistors are soooo small).

I am thinking about buying a GFD for my athlon slot A t-bird running at 900mhz but im not sure if this is the right GFD for me. Check it out here is the link
I know it says up to 10.5x but will my motherboard run that high since it only supports 10x ? The motherboard i am running is the Gigabyte 7IX 751 series
thanks
do you think its worth 100mhz ?

Me (May 20, 2001 10:21 a.m.):
up2Tim (May 19, 2001 10:59 a.m.):

I am thinking about buying a GFD for my athlon slot A t-bird running at 900mhz but im not sure if this is the right GFD for me. Check it out here is the link
I know it says up to 10.5x but will my motherboard run that high since it only supports 10x ? The motherboard i am running is the Gigabyte 7IX 751 series
thanks
do you think its worth 100mhz ?

yes, your mobo will do 10.5x. The reason why it reports 'up to 10x' is because of the fact AMD never released slot-A's higher than 10x. But all the slot-a mobo's do support 10.5x.

in my opinion, 100MHz isn't worth the hassle if you are doing it only for performance, but for a true overclocker, it's the way to go. Succes!

(sorry for replying this late, I've got some posts lost... ultraboard...)

-=UR=- Ranger (May 31, 2001 02:12 a.m.):
Does anyone know, if there are any advantages of GFD´s which require external Power Supplies?

not that I know of. There have been some comparing tests on GFD's, but there weren't many differences. Most of the problems had to do with maximum VCore. Just be sure you can go up to 2.0V and everything is ok. Because if you want to get a decent overclock, you need voltage adjustments. But as far as I know, all GFD's have voltage add's.

I would advice on buying a GFD without external voltage, it's far more easy to use.

Succes on getting a GFD!

Back