• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vonkaar's-bender- chiller teaser pics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vonkaar

This is gonna be a whole-case mod/creation... but... I can't wait, gotta show someone my chrome =p.

This is what it looked like before...
shroud-before0.jpg

It was a sort of... 1981 bronze-colored anodized aluminum shade. It wasn't really HIDEOUS or anything, but I thought the chrome would look much better. Sooooo... off to the chroming tank we go!

shroud-beta0.jpg

shroud-beta1.jpg

The plexi front will eventually have 4 holes drilled in the corners for the blue leds to go. Plus, I am routing power through the holes onto the plexi via a distribution block. I *was* going to use some of those badass looking car-audio distribution blocks, but I couldn't find anything for 18-gauge wire, and it would look lame putting 18-gauge cable into a hole designed for 4-gauge. But... such is life =p. Anyway... power for the TEN peltiers comes through the holes onto these cute little power blocks. The 2 Lambda LRS-55-12 regulated power supplies (also being colored, more later) will be mounted on either side. DC+ comes in the front, DC - goes out the back =p. It'll look sweet... especially with the car-audio cabling I'm using. Blue-metallic cables through a glowing blue plexi on top of a mirror chrome finish. Ghetto!

Anyway...

The whole case is being done up like this and I probably should have waited til I had more to show... I'm just excited about how well this has already turned out.

Oh, the total component list is...
Cascade-SS
Iwaki WMD40RLT
High-flow quad-pass radiator with 2 comair vanguard 6" fans from HELL, controlled by an AC dimmer switch... all of which is currently being chromed ^_^
I'm Currently undecided on either buying a new chipset block, or using my z-block.

The crazy thing is, I've got all this purchased (Cascade-ss is a few weeks away, obviously) and the modding has begun, but I still haven't decided on cooling an existing setup of an NF7/1700, or going back to the prehistoric days of Intel (for me, that is... last intel was a ppro200) with an IC7+2400c. I want the best I can do with a chilled cascade-ss, so... research is still progressing =/.

Sooooooo... yeah. This isn't the official 'progress' thread that I'll start, I just wanted to get SOMETHING out there so ya'll know what I've got cooking =p.

Last edited:
Originally posted by thorilan
aluminum fans or chrome the plastic ones chassi

I don't like any of the aluminum fans I've seen... They don't match too well and are like, half the CFM that those freaks put out. If there was a chrome one that was as powerful, I'd probably prefer it over the black... but, I haven't seen that.

I have a pair of older pabst METAL fans that are even more powerful than those comain 120s, but I'm not sure how much usage they've seen, and they are even louder. Although... if ya'll heard those comair vanguard fans at full tilt, you would probably think I'm crazy. The dimmer switch TOTALLY helps out on that... but at full power they are louder than any vacuum I've ever heard. The plus side is that they move about as much air as my 24" box fan.

The pump was only $10 more than the 30 I was gonna buy... plus I'm still not sure how much resistance all of this equipment will put up. Sooo, better go with a somewhat 'large' pump, no? =p

you can chrome the fans you are using right? the bladed motor part is removeable? if not you may be able to have them maskoff that area with some kinda bag or something .

hehe 10$ more for the pump and yu get the added benifit that you can hose your house down if you have a fire

Thanks all ^_^

L337 M33P, I haven't received it yet but Cathar gave a loose ETA... I'll probably get it sometime in middle-October... 2-3 weeks away, methinks.

just remember guys cathar has a real life job too besides making the most uber blocks in da world.

the fact that the block had such a huge interest suprised me due o the fact that it is very cost prohibitive. but anyways

we want more updates on your uber cooler =)

quick question . whats the total continious wattage of all 10 pelts in that thing gonna be and are you gonna wire a second high wattage psu only to power it?

haha UberBlue... I'm somewhat disapointed in that I won't be able to make much use of the SS until December or so. When you get yours, post pics and results because I'm itching to see some OC results =p. I'm not sure when Thorilan will have his DEVIL-case completed, so all of the 'other' SS owners will have to HURRY UP.

SniperXX, I really want to start a new thread after I get my mcmaster order in... so the 'full picture' of my setup won't be very visible until then. But, if you like chrome, you'll probably like the end-results. Lots of plexi, lots of chrome, lots of little blue lights (tastefully done, of course). The guy doing my chrome is this 55 year old Vietnam vet turned Harley Davidson custom chopper guy. He's pretty damn good ^_^.

thorilan said:
... quick question . whats the total continious wattage of all 10 pelts in that thing gonna be and are you gonna wire a second high wattage psu only to power it?

550watts maximum draw.
I have the left side powered by a Lambda LRS-55-12 12v(+/-5%) 30amp PSU, and the right side has a second PSU. That's 360 watts of regulated power for each side when they only pull 275. Soooo... I should be fine. Plus, the power supplies are going to have an mirrored blue paint job so will look pretty slick with the cooler =p.

just remember guys cathar has a real life job too besides making the most uber blocks in da world.

I realize this, that's why I haven't been bugging the crap out of him. I get info passively from other people. Just wanted to covertly confirm. So much for covertly...

Anyways... Vonkaar, is that the labratory pelt assembly you got from, I think Bender? I remerber you couldn't contain your excitement about it.

EDIT: DUH! looks at thread title...

What does the Nam vet chopper dude think of your computer shenanigans? Or have you had the balls to tell him what your really up to? :)

Last edited:
haha... no, I tell him that I'm chroming the cooler for my wood chipper that I use to cut up wussy Honda drivers when they **** me off.

Actually... he knows what I'm doing and probably thinks I'm a huge idiot... but, oh well; his work is good =p.

Thorilan, I'm basically creating a 2 foot cube cut in half lengthwise. The left half is my cooling unit that's 24"x12"x24" and will pretty much be a standalone cooler. The right half is pretty far away (just design-stage at the present) but will contain my computer. The idea is, regardless of what the future brings for cooling, I'll be able to break off my cooler and chill a LOT of water. The right side will still look great as a standard case, but together they'll be quite beautiful.

I'm already starting to see that I'm going to have to be the most anal person as far as casual touching... chrome and plexi will 'sort of' fingerprint like Holmes =/. Still figuring out a solution to that.

Last edited:
Back