• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling Emergency!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathBOB

Hey guys, I just built my new system. its a 2.4c Abit IC7-G in a Coolermaster Wave Master case. Completely stock and new cooling. Idle temp is 52.00 degrees as of this post. System Idle is 32C. This is given to me by the Winbond Doctor utility included with the mobo. I know Abit boards report hot, but this much? Playing a heavy session of Battlefield gets it up to 66-68 C. This is a bit scary.

Yea that is high.I'm no expert but sounds like your heat sink to CPU needs to be looked at.NEED more info.What type HS? What type
HSFan?Whats the temp.Of the room the comp.'s in? Celcius or Fahrenhite? What type thermal interface material on heatsink?
Providing more info will help us better help you.!!:cool:

I'm not sure how much higher the Abit reports, but I'd keep an eye on your system. There may in fact, be no cause for worry at all. Does the system get unstable at all?

did you take off the thermal pad?

next time please don't post three times;)

my friends have their Alarms go off on their Abit mobos in WinBond - - and I know that their rigs are nowhere near "danger zone" so, yes, Abit mobos do read high - - - my Asus one reads low, in fact, i dont know of any mobo that reports 'real' temps...

Eek, very scary. You may want to take off the heatsink and see what part touched the chip and it could be a clip problem.. I just about booted a system with a stock HS in it where only 2 clips were secure in the retention mechanism.

When putting it back on, I'd highly reccomend removing the old TIM and applying any paste you've got laying around - reusing past (especially the stock black stuff) is a no no. If you don't have any handy, I wouldn't worry TOO much about it though.

Well, the system is rock solid so far. But It not the heatsink. Its nver like more than 20 degrees above ambient. its the stock Intelm how could I have gone wrong? You stick it on, and flip the tabs... Should I have taken off that black tap? I scraped a little corner bit off accidentally... Anyways, my case temp is reading 30-32 C... room temp is.. I dotn know. But my room has poor air circulation. Its hot n stuffy...

It can't run any cooler than the air around it. If you screwed with corner of the stock Tape (black in color),that could be a prob.Get
rid of the stock setup if you want to get better temps. BUT it can't cool if the air around it is not cooler than the computer.Cooling 101.THE FANMAN

yes, but compared to my morthbridge heatsink and my video card heatsink it doesnt feel as hot. Its still warm though

Did you take the plastic cover off the tape on the bottom of the heatsink? Sounds silly but I've seen posts where that turned out to be the problem.

Hmm, there wasnt any plastic tape. You mean that black stuff???

If the heatsink feels warm, that means it is at least making some contact with the chip. I agree with the rest, get rid of that thermal pad that comes with the stock heatsink and use any thermal compund you have, I like Arctic Ceramique. It gets about the same temps as ASII its non conductive, easier to clean up, and cheaper.

ok i might run to CompUSA today and get some... This sucks. I come hoem from school and my dad says my brand new 19-inch Viewsonic P95f+b (awesome) has died in a hail of sparks....

ya, hasnt even bee 2 weeks. Its refurbished from viewsonic, so nothing completely unexpected. Good deal though, i paid 169 for a monitor that usually goes for 325.

Back