• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems again with K7D Master L

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chipvideo

I can't seem to be able to use my new plextor 708A 8 speed dvd recorder. I can record everything except +R media. The person at plextor said that +R media takes more demand on internal parts on the motherboard. I am using a ultra ata controller card for my WD 160 gig drive. I put the card in the slot right below the agp video card. I have my dvd writer hooked up to IDE2 master. Somone please help. I am thinking this motherboard might be the problem. I have my dvd writer in ultra dma mode as well. what is the bottleneck.

I don't think the motherboard or controller is the issue. I would suspect it is the DVD+R media, itself. The media is almost always the bottleneck.

Last edited:
That is what I thought, until I started using 3 different brands that they suggested. Even the disc that came with the drive is supposed to be the best and it didnt work either. I think something is messed up on my bios. I don't know what to do. I am not that much of a techie. I am about to have a nervous breakdown. I spent so damn much and now I cant even do what I want. This is frustrating. I just re installed my OS. Now what do I do. What about ECC settings. DO i have to enable it. I dont know what to do.

You don't need to enable ECC. Are you using my recommended memory settings? (16,16,6,2,2,2,3) Are you overclocked? What are your temps?

What is the error you're getting?

What DVD program are you using?

Have you tried your DVD burner on the onboard IDE?

*EDIT* I re-read you post and saw that you are using your hard drive on the controller and the DVD burner on the onboard IDE. Why are you using your hard drive on a controller? Have you tried putting your DVD burner on the other channel of that controller?

Last edited:
I am using the controler card because it said in the manual of the western digital drive that in order to use the high speed i need to.

the 160 gig western digital special edition. I may be wrong. I just don't have any drivers now. I tried setting up my wd drives on the on board ide and they dont detect. I dont have my discs either. Two floppys and they are ruined so What do I do now. I dont think I can install a dvd recorder on a hdd cable can I? I dont think it would do well on a 80 ribbon cable or would it. I am getting to the point of trying to pay somone to come over and do it for me. Maybe somone on here would be kind enough to give me a walk through installing everything correctly. I just want my pc to live like it should.

ok I got the two hard drives on ide 1 and the dvd recorder on ide 2. It is still hopeless with this dvd burner. It just baffles me that it will burn everything but +R even though it is the fastest +R burner on the market. Even the good media wont burn. Oh well. I did order the pionner 106 so it should be here in 5 days or less. Then will make decision. IF it doesnt work then I know my system is screwed up.

I been looking around and a few people that I have seen have problems with the new plextor 708 burner seem to have amd setups. I know that the person at plextor told me that I would definitely need new chipset drivers. I dont even know what ones I have or what ones I need. I just need to get my motherboard in top shape with all latest drivers. Somone please help.

Some WD drives won't be detected on onboard IDE channels, unless you jumper them for Cable Select. I suspect that is the issue with your drives.

As Deathnight pointed out, you can find a link to the necessary drivers in my sticky.

A DVD burner will work fine with an 80 pin cable. The 80 pin cable is overkill, but it won't hurt, at all.

Is there any type of diagnostic utility that can find bottlenecks on my system? I would like to rule out anything I can.

Hrm Sisoft sandra has a bunch of benchmarks in it and pcmark2002 is a benchmark that tests cpu speed, memory speed and filesystem speed. Both of them give a pretty good idea of overall system performance.

I dont understand. I went to the download site and downloaded the drivers and they say that on the EIDE driver it cant find a better driver even when I link to it on my cdrom. It shows that I have 1.43 and this one is 1.43s I believe. Also it seems as though it takes forever for me to browse anything on the cdrom. Takes like 10 seconds before it the folders open up.

Without having a good baseline to compare results to, any benchmark is going to be difficult, at best, in helping you find your problem.

Have you downloaded and installed all the drivers from MSI?

Have you tried putting your hard drives on Cable Select and placing them on the onboard IDE channels, along with your DVD burner?

Is there newer firmware available for your DVD-Burner?

What DVD burning program are you using?

What is the error you are getting?

chipvideo said:
I dont understand. I went to the download site and downloaded the drivers and they say that on the EIDE driver it cant find a better driver even when I link to it on my cdrom. It shows that I have 1.43 and this one is 1.43s I believe. Also it seems as though it takes forever for me to browse anything on the cdrom. Takes like 10 seconds before it the folders open up.

If you have 1.43, good.

How about the other chipset drivers?

If your drive is taking a long time to show folders, then it is probably either an issue with the drive, or you don't have DMA enabled for it.

I have ultra dma mode 2 enabled on my dvd recorder. It doesnt matter what burning program I use. +R doesnt work and +RW does. I downloaded the latest firmware for the dvd drive and no difference. I also downloade the chipset drivers. Of the two I downloaded it said windows has native support and will now exit. I guess I am fine in that area. Just can't figure out what is wrong. I did the self diagnostic test that plextor told me to do and it worked fine. Of course the test involves not having the 40 pin ribbon cable connected to the drive, so that makes me think that there is a bottleneck on my motherboard allowing me not to record the +R media for dvd's. I have been burning dvd movies for two years now and this one has me stumbled.

chipvideo said:
I have ultra dma mode 2 enabled on my dvd recorder. It doesnt matter what burning program I use. +R doesnt work and +RW does. I downloaded the latest firmware for the dvd drive and no difference. I also downloade the chipset drivers. Of the two I downloaded it said windows has native support and will now exit. I guess I am fine in that area. Just can't figure out what is wrong. I did the self diagnostic test that plextor told me to do and it worked fine. Of course the test involves not having the 40 pin ribbon cable connected to the drive, so that makes me think that there is a bottleneck on my motherboard allowing me not to record the +R media for dvd's. I have been burning dvd movies for two years now and this one has me stumbled.

+R and +RW media is different and the +RW is probably recording at a slower speed.

How much memory do you have installed?

cmcquistion said:
You don't need to enable ECC. Are you using my recommended memory settings? (16,16,6,2,2,2,3) Are you overclocked? What are your temps?

cmcquistion said:
Have you tried putting your hard drives on Cable Select and placing them on the onboard IDE channels, along with your DVD burner?

What DVD burning program are you using?

What is the error you are getting?

Last edited:
I have 1 gig memory. I changed my settings to the recommended ones you posted. There really is no error showing up. It just wont even start recording. actually it puts about 200K on the disc and then makes it unreadable. I tried burning at any speed and it wont burn a dvd video. I can burn files on it, but no video. I have been doing video burns for two years now. Strange. Even using the media the suggest. No difference. The +RW are writing at 4 speed. Cant get the media rated at 8 speed to even do it at 4 speed with the + media. Plextor told me that the +R takes more demand on the system than +RW. I even shut down everything and try it and still same problem.

My hard drives are set on the onboard IDE1 with master and slave. My plextor is on IDE2 as master with nothing else hooked to it. I don't see why even changing that would make a difference. I even hooked the 80 ribbon cable to the dvd recorder. No difference. It puzzles me that Only the + media has this problem.

Back