• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disbale auto insert notification in XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vejita-sama

Newbie question I guess. In win9x you could choose: Device manger | drive | properties, then turn auto select on/off. But that option is gone/moved in winXP.

Could someone please point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

[Why does MS move this stuff around with every new verison of windows???]

if you download powertoys for winxp with SP1 (version 2.1), it has your option to play with. It is called "auto play"

go head and download your FREE copy from microsoft

In addition to using TweakUI for XP to disable AutoPlay, like powerme suggested, which can be downloaded from MS here...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp

...you can also right-click your CD-ROM in Windows Explorer and select "Properties" | "AutoPlay" tab. Here, you can select the action for Windows to take when you insert a particular CD. You can also modify the Registry manually if you don't want to use TweakUI for some reason. Depending on whether you're running the Pro or Home version of XP, the Registry setting for AutoPlay is located in two different locations...

For Pro...HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SYSTEM | CurrentControlSet | Services | Cdrom

"AutoRun"=DWORD Value of 0 to disable AutoPlay.

For Home...HKEY_CURRENT_USER | Software | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | Policies | Explorer

"NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=DWORD Value of FF to disable AutoPlay.

If you're running the Pro version of XP, you can also use the Group Policy Editor to disable AutoPlay...Start | Run | Type gpedit.msc and click OK | Expand the following branch...Computer Configuration | Administrative Templates | System

Double click "Turn off Autoplay" in the RH pane, then click the "Enabled" radio button. :)

Last edited:
Thanks, I'm running winXP Pro. And was able to modify the registry. I'm aware that I can set the 'autoplay' in XP for each type of media, but that's kind of a pain. I want it all off :)

Thanks again

Back