• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Starchball

Hi, seeing all of you overclocking, i recently got myself a new overclocking fan =) Ok, so heres wht i did, took out my CPU chip, linked e L1 Bridge and put it back. Then i went to BIOS setup and changed my clock rate to 110 and clock ratio to default ( which is 9X ). So by right its supposed to run at 990. But the thing is, even when i did so, its unstable and once i get into windows, it would just hang. I tried lowering it to 105 and its the same. Well, so i decided to let the clock rate run at default which is 100 and set the clock ratio to 9.5X ( so its supposed to run at 950 now ). Guess wht, it dropped to 600MHz instead??!!! Did a bit of mathematics and assumed 14X would bring it to 1 gig. Who knows, when i did just that, it dropped to 500MHz......Anyone can help? I used a Mechanical 2B pencil and linked e bridge twice already. Cant be e voltage settings i guess...cos i set tt as well.

System specs: AMD TB 900MHz
MSI K7T PRO2A KT133
256 SDram PC-133
Creative GTS
SB Live!

You probably mean Vi/o is 3.3V. Try upping that to 3.4V and your Vcore to 1.85 and see if that helps. unfortunately, I am totally ignorant of the K7T Pro2A, but if it is based upon the KT-133 chipset instead of the KT-133A, it will not run the FSB much higher than 105 Mhz. In that case, you need to overclock by upping the multiplier. On my old KT7 (KT-133) board, my 600 Duron would run 10x100 @ 1.85Vcore til the cows came home. Perhaps someone with MSI experience can advise you better. BTW, I love your nickname. ;D

Hoot

The multiplier isn't correctly unlocked. Happened to me when I used a 2B pencil. Use defogger kit or silverpaint to unlock the chip permanently, those work.

asmodean is right. i run a 1gig tbird at 1.3 in that same mobo. the pencil trick isn't done correctly. be wary of it, mine seems to come undone sometimes... maybe the heat messes with it? anyways, defogger kits are nice to use from what ive seen. might wanna check into those. once you get the bridges correctly unlocked the system will boot at the correct speed.

Finally, i found out e problem is not within e shading itself. Its my ram incompatibility, took them out and tested and its running at 1gig now instead of 900MHz. Dun really know if i can push it higher but ill try =) Well, thanks to all those who submitted their comments!

Darn, problem 2: since reaching 1000MHz, though its very stable the thing is, when i turn off the comp and came back a while later, the speed dropped to 600MHz again! The only way to get it back was to interchange e ram positions and it will go back to 1000MHz. I gotta do this EVERYTIME i boot up my comp and this is getting very sickening.......argh......any help???

You still need to get the defogger kit and connect the bridges with that you wil be much happier and it will not quit working in 2 weeks or ( that is the average for the pincel trick) I anm not conviencer that the ram is the problem If I were you I would get the bridges done correctly and permenantly and then move on to the next thing (maybe the RAM ). hope this helps.

Back