• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

finally got a rig running overclockix

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OCn00b

It took me a couple days to download it but I got it burned this morning and got my 950mhz amd folding for team 32 again :) It's not a big help but after seeing how easy it is to use, I'll probably be adding more rigs in the future using overclockix. Thanks for making this for us Arkaine23, you did an outstanding job!:attn:

Yeah, I'm debating on whether or not to install it to the hard drive. If I don't with this one, I'll probably do it with future installs.

lol, nobody is more retarded when it comes to linux than myself. I fully expect to be sending him plenty of PM's in the near future :)

I just downloaded overclockix & burned it onto a cd also. At the moment I have hard drives for all my folders. Just courious, but can you just boot off the overclockix cd & use overclockix instead of the hdd? Seems like it'd be ok, I'd really like to check it out, as I think sometime in the near future I'll have need of it.

:D

Yes. You can boot the CD with or without a hdd installed. Of course, without a HDD there is nowhere to same files but in your ramdisk. I use wimpy 2gb hdd's and or small usb pens with an overclockix CD sometimes to amke it more functional and give myself permanent storage.

The CD has many tools to manipulate different filesystems. it can help you recover data if the hdd's OS has become unbootable due to corruption. It can resize partition on the fly, similar to partition magic, and it can image a drive.

You can also use a hdd to make it run slightly differently. For instance, you can create a persistent home directory, which allows you to save your custom desktop and program settings, your browser favorites, your folding directory, and any documents you create or files you download. A persistent home can be on unpartitioned hdd space, a fat32 partition, and on either a hdd or usb pen drive. You can make it use your custom settings when booting by entering a code (knoppix home=scan) at the initial prompt whenever you boot.

You can also create a swap file for it, if you have a hdd in the system. It can take a small part of a fat32 partition, or it can use unpartitioned space for a swap file.

A future release will allow you to copy most of the filesystem to a hdd, yet not the part that would go in the boot sector or install a boot loader on your system. In effect you could just stick about 2GB of files in a folder of any existing Fat32 partition, so you wouldn't necessarily even have to partition it, or do a full install. But it operates faster having its files uncompressed and on a hdd rather than compressed and on the CD. This technique is called a poor man's install.

There's also a newer installer script that has more options than the current one, that I'll work into the next release- Overclockix 3.3.

Last edited:
Arkaine23 said:
:D

The CD has many tools to manipulate different filesystems. it can help you recover data if the hdd's OS has become unbootable due to corruption. It can resize partition on the fly, similar to partition magic, and it can image a drive.

You can also use a hdd to make it run slightly differently. For instance, you can create a persistent home directory, which allows you to save your custom desktop and program settings, your browser favorites, your folding directory, and any documents you create or files you download.

In addition, Overclockix holds the keys to life's mysteries, it will solve world hunger and end corporate fraud. You can use it to cut Frenc...er... Freedom fries in 20 different ways. Overclockix is destined to bring about the downfall of the evil Queen Bavmorda, whose powers are growing like an evil plague. Overclockix can even make that certain someone fall in love with you. Overclockix: The divine way to fold.

In short, Overclockix is ALMOST as Godly as Vonkaar - King of Goats.

In addition, Overclockix holds the keys to life's mysteries, it will solve world hunger and end corporate fraud. You can use it to cut Frenc...er... Freedom fries in 20 different ways. Overclockix is destined to bring about the downfall of the evil Queen Bavmorda, whose powers are growing like an evil plague. Overclockix can even make that certain someone fall in love with you. Overclockix: The divine way to fold.

:eek: :eek: :eek: ;)

Ducker said:
WOW!!!!!!!!! :eek: Sounds like you made one h*** of an os. I'm goning to have to log off & check it out. Thanks!!!!!

It would seem so, but I did not make this OS. This is really only a slightly modified version of Knoppix 3.2. What I did was remove software I didn't like, add software I wanted, wrote a few scripts for folding and seti, pre-configured samba for network sharing (though it won't work unless you install it to hdd), and tweaked the look of the desktops.

There was a lot of work involved, but really all the cool stuff was done already by Klaus knopper, the creator of Knoppix. I just took a great OS and made it conform to my own design.

vonkaar said:

In short, Overclockix is ALMOST as Godly as Vonkaar - King of Goats.

I don't know about all that, but chicks dig guys who fold with Overclockix. :p

Last edited:
Arkaine, I booted up into Overclockix and I can't figure out how to change the screen resolution. My screen gets lots of lines & you can't tell what's on there. This happens after I type in lang=us. It's probably right there in the cheet codes, but I can't find it.

English is the default language, so you shouldn't need that cheatcode.

pressing CTRL + ALT and the plus (+) or minus (-) key on the number pad will switch ebtween a few different resolutions.

You can force a resolution with the cheatcode:

knoppix screen=1280x1024

for example

Do you have an LCD monitor?

Do other resolutions work? What video card are we dealing with here?

Arkaine, I tried the ctrl + alt & - thing, and that's all it needed. In fact I'm in Overclockix right now. This is a fantastic os!!! Makes me start to think about why I keep spending so much money on ms software. This is really cool, now I'll have to start exploring all of it's features & learning it :D Thanks for your help & for this great os!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

www.knoppix.net -great resource for all of knoppix's features and for guides

http://overclockix-forum.theaog.com -new overclockix forum, not much in there yet, but all posts and problem resolution will ultimately help the development of future iso's of Overclockix. Its a place to seek help and get involved in the project.

GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is like photoshop. It looks kind of complex when you start it (and it is), but its easy to pick up on... most things are done by right-clicking on an open image file.

kpaint is also pretty handy for image editing.
ksnapshot is nice to take pics of your desktop

Control Center has a lot of things you can tweak on the desktop appearance, from backgrounds, and multiple desktops, to icon and color themes, and taskbar look/behaviour.

A bunch of wallpapers are in /usr/share/wallpapers and a bunch of icons are in /usr/share/icons.

Back