• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU problem...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

one-silence

my fortron 350-60bn is making some wierd high pitch noise, i mean very high pitch. i knwo it isnt the fan already. i stopped it and it still has the same noise. i also tried another 350-60bn fortron(not even used yet), and i got the same results. i took off a few stuff and the sound went away, but then it came back after a few minutes later. i took the PSU out of case and try to locate the pitch to be certian. there was nothign comming form the case, just little hums form the HDD. but when the PSU is out of the case i put my ear closer to the fans and vents, and i hear the very high pitch. its really starting to annoy me very much. any info would helpful. my spec's is below.

rig..
soltek 75frn2-rl
barton 2500 @ 11.5x202 @ 1.825 (HWM reads at 1.79-7.81)
corsair xms 512 DC kit @ 2.7v
geforce3 ti 500 128mb
40 gb seagate 7200rpm 2mb cache as OS
60gb WD 7200rpm 2mb cache as storage
120gb sata 7200 8mb cache as storage
120GB IBM 7200rpm 8mb cache as storage
sony cd-rw 12x burner
1 floppy
5.25 LCD temp monitor
onboard sound
onboard NIC
d-link NIC
2 120mm LED fans (1 front intake, 1 blowhole)
2 clear 80mm fan(side case)
1 80mm TTSF2 on MCX-462V
1 CCFL

my rails
12v rail is 11.6-11.7 (sometimes dip to 11.56)
5v rail is 5.1-5.17
3.3v rail is 3.29-3.31
these are all checked by a voltmeter.

is my system that power hungry? or is it a sign that my PSU is goign to fail on me? does anyoen else have this problem also?
fi anyoen knows the answer plesae reply back! thanks and sorry for the long post..

These types of noises are inherent in switching power supplies, if you use the search engine you will find I have posted very comprehensive explanations of this phenomenon many times. I'm too tired to go through it all again right now.

The occurance of these types of noises can be provoked by overload, as well as occuring without overload in most cases. Your 12v level indicates your supply is indeed overloaded, and I suggest you step up to the Fortron 530 or Antec Truep Power 430 or larger. It's scary-dangerous to overload a supply as badly as yours is long term.

It's a pity that the 120mm fan line stops at 350W. The most demanding rigs are often too much for these PSU's, but stepping up to a higher output model currently means losing the fan benefit. I wonder why Fortron hasn't expanding this product line yet...

FIZZ3 said:
I wonder why Fortron hasn't expanding this product line yet...

My guess would be space inside the PSU. I agree it would be awesome if they offered the beefier PSUs with the 120mm fans, I would imagine that they are just having issues fitting it all in there.

thanks for the information. i guess it time to upgrade to a higher power PSU..

i have another question, right now newegg has a refurb fortron 530, will i have any problems with refurb stuff? or should i just save up and get a new one?

I've allways had great luck from neweggs refurb, just be sure to check it out reallllly well in the first few days. They don't offer much in the way of warranty on refurbs. Still, you can allways go back to the manufacturer about warranties. I'd go for it.

J.

Deathknight said:

My guess would be space inside the PSU. I agree it would be awesome if they offered the beefier PSUs with the 120mm fans, I would imagine that they are just having issues fitting it all in there.

The space taken up by a 120x25mm fan is 360000 mm3. The space taken up by fans found in an alternative higher-output design is (92x25, 80x25) 371600 mm3. So the 120mm solution even has the space advantage.

FIZZ3 said:

The space taken up by a 120x25mm fan is 360000 mm3. The space taken up by fans found in an alternative higher-output design is (92x25, 80x25) 371600 mm3. So the 120mm solution even has the space advantage.

True but its situated in a completly different area (along the bottom) which is a rather different location for a PSU fan. That lost height means shorter caps and heatsinks etc. I am sure they will work it out eventually ;)

Deathknight said:

True but its situated in a completly different area (along the bottom) which is a rather different location for a PSU fan. That lost height means shorter caps and heatsinks etc. I am sure they will work it out eventually ;)

Heh I'm going to have to disagree again. :)

The height of the bottom fan is the same! Both 92mm and 120mm fans are 25mm high, thus there is no space shortage due to that.

I'm sure there is some good reason other than being asleep at the wheel for not making 120mm 400W+ power supplies, but I don't think this is it.

FIZZ3 said:

The height of the bottom fan is the same! Both 92mm and 120mm fans are 25mm high, thus there is no space shortage due to that.

Ehh well all the Fortron PSUs I have used have fans at the front and back not one on the bottom(aside from the 120mm fan version of which we are talking about of course ;) ), so it would require some relocating for them. For instance my 530w fortron has fans at front and back, bottom is solid metal. Other fortron PSUs I have used have had only 1 fan (at the back).

Back