• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modding a Micro-ATX to hold an ATX mobo..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suma

Hey Guys,
I want to make my sys as small/light as possible.
also, I don't want to change my beloved motherboard, EPoX 8RDA+.

I wanted to know if this is possible?
and if you guys have some tips for me or comments etc.

(This thread is published in both Cases and Power Supply, and Alternative Modding!)

Thanks Again,
Suma.

You would need to do some serious modding, since ATX mobos are clearly larger than M-ATX. You would need to make new holes for spacers, cut out things to make space, probably need a little bit more powerful power supply.

About the PSU, I could probably fit the board, but I'll need to replace the PSU somewhere else.
also I'm W/C and want to fit my rig inside.

Thanks for your help anyway.
Suma.

If you've got a MATX case like mine (an Enlight slim-thing), there's no way to shove your enitre rig in there, but if you've got a larger one, like say the guy modding an X-Box into a MATX case has, you could probably get one or two drives in, your ATX mobo, and a MATX PSU. The highest MATX PSU I know of is 200W. You may be forced to change your CD drive to laptop.

Above all else, you must make sure there is a LOT of air flowing through the case; fitting full-power components into a MATX case will make it really hot in there, so you have to make sure all the cables are packed away neatly and there are about 72 thousand fans in that case. :D

Have fun.

Depends what is where and what clearances you have. If the PSU or other devices are mounted beyond the PCI slots and not the I/O it's feasible. But a custom case would be far more tailored to you needs.
Might I suggest a rackmount?

I don't like these rackmounts.
also I don't think I'll be able to fit my w/c rig inside.

You want portability while still being ATX AND watercooling? You're already at a huge weight AND Dimensional disadvantage so you could either make a briefcase machine, or just a case on wheels. Otherwise you're asking for a serious arm work-out.

Dude, I'm going around lans with a 20kgs comp now.
I found one mATX case, aluminum made that weights 2.8kgs and I would like to fit my comp in there :p

Suma said:
Dude, I'm going around lans with a 20kgs comp now.
I found one mATX case, aluminum made that weights 2.8kgs and I would like to fit my comp in there :p

Sorry, it's just not going to happen based on all the Micro-ATX experience I have. 2 extra inches makes a big difference in how the case layout is setup.

Trying to fit a watercooling rig inside a mATX case is nearly impossible. Have you tried getting some wheels, or maybe a strap (like a backpack)?

No, and I'm not going to.
I'll get this mobo inside a mATX, I just thought you guys can give me some tips :(

anyway, off I go, I'll just try it on my own.

There's no suggestions to give when I don't think it's a good idea, or even possible considering the dimensional limitations. Excluding just the dimensional limitations, as the parts get closer and closer together it becomes harder and harder to effectively cool them. Without breathing room, each part will simply build-up heat against eachother.

All I can think to say is; measure EVERYTHING and make a mock-up or template of each part to see if it will fit before swapping around anything.

Ya if anyone knows about small custom/modded pcs its captain slug. I read this whole thread and it looks like making an ATX fit in a M-ATX will be hard/impossible (sorry for the bad news). Why not make a custom case? It may be slightly larger than a micro atx case but atleast you may be able to get it all fit and fit in a smaller case than a norm. atx case.

Also, good luck on whatever route you take! :)

Interesting, someone besides me came out with modding a mATX to ATX... I've done it my friend and I just happen to be watercooled. Of course its gonna be different with every case though. Mine is a Chilli Professional micro, they do make an ATX version, but the ATX has 1x 5 1/4 bay and the micro has 2. The reason the ATX only has one is that the motherboard extends almost right up to the 5" drive cage so a little modding was in order. The back plate was not a problem as it was a regular ATX backplate with 6 slots not the micro usual of 3. Overall I would advise you to investigate the case very carefully before you buy. I was measuring pictures of motherboards and this case and I was 90% I could mod it before I bought it. Unfortunately many micro atx cases are extremely (read: too small) and can barely fit a mATX board. Good luck.

Back