• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

o/cing my 2500+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

squads

i just put it in my abit nf7-s v2 and it gets 200*11 with 1.7v prime stable. i went 200*11.5 with 1.85v and it only ran prime for about 12 minutes. i think more voltage would get it stable but my temps were 46C [email protected] load and 53C [email protected] load. i'm not sure if i want to up the voltage anymore, what do you guys think?

also, what do you think of my psu rails. all are fine except the 12v rail which normally runs around 11.86 idle, but @2300, 1.85 it was down around 11.68-11.74 when running prime. do you think the psu might be preventing my o/c? its a 350w fortron that i just got running one hdd, cdrw, dvd, radeon 8500LE and 5 case fans.

note: case temp max was 29C when running at 1.85v. i might try using a DMM to test 12v rail while running prime so i really know what it is.

also forgot to mention. right now its using pc2100 ram (heh) at 3:2 divider (so 200:133) since i'm waiting on my new ram right now. would this be able to affect prime in any way (remember its running at stock speed with the divider)

Last edited:
Hmm. Yeah. I think that ram could be seriously compromising your stability. I'm not sure because I've never really messed around with ram dividers, but I would just sit tight until my new memory arrived if I were you. As for your temperatures, what kind of cooling are you using? By the way, I just noticed your vcore seems a little high... I don't know if it's your board or the cpu or what, but I'm running my 2500+ on an MSI kt3 ultra at 2.2 gHz with only 1.65 vcore. My temps are only 36C, too.

maybe it will work better when i get the good ram to run 1:1. its a volcano 7+, which is ok at cooling, not great.

squads said:
maybe it will work better when i get the good ram to run 1:1. its a volcano 7+, which is ok at cooling, not great.

You need a SLK- series HS so you can put some more voltage and maintain the CPU temperature to below 45-50 C, in case you want to get another 100-200 MHz out of the CPU.

hitechjb1 said:
General rules on voltage and temperature for CPU overclocking

Voltage (estimate) needed for overclocking Tbred B and Barton

Assuming HSF, PSU are not the limiting factor, these are my estimate, based on SLK-800/900/947 HS.

1.500 - 1.575 V would get CPU to 2200 MHz (stable) = 200 x 11
1.550 - 1.650 V would get CPU to 2300 MHz (stable) = 200 x 11.5
1.625 - 1.750 V would get CPU to 2400 MHz (stable) = 200 x 12
1.725 - 1.925 V would get CPU to 2500 MHz (stable) = 200 x 12.5

Extending them to Barton and DKT3C, I would say usually:
1.650 - 1.725 V would get CPU to 2200 MHz (stable) = 200 x 11
1.700 - 1.800 V would get CPU to 2300 MHz (stable) = 200 x 11.5
1.775 - 1.900 V would get CPU to 2400 MHz (stable) = 200 x 12
1.875 - 2.075 V would get CPU to 2500 MHz (stable) = 200 x 12.5

For the 1.6 V rated DUT3C, it would resemble the numbers for Barton/DKT3C.

Related links:

Some numbers to determine max CPU overclocking frequency - Vcore vs temperature,
When do the CPU's slow down?
(page 13)
Explanation (page 13)

Overclocking frequency-Vcore break-even point for Tbred B/Barton(page 15)

General rules on voltage and temperature for CPU overclocking (page 16)

Comparing some HSF's on CPU overclock frequency on air (page 6)

Last edited:
well...mine would be right where the 3200+ is on that chart, pretty damn close (discounting that HT bs which doesnt affect games). not sure why your posting that in this thread anyway...

thanks hitchjb for the tip, i was going to get a 947u and that probably convinced me cause the volcano 7+ just cant do it. i'd like to get at least stable at 2.3, hoping for 2.35 or 2.4, but thats unlikely.

EDIT: wow those results for hsk's are pretty good, my stability falls right in with what you have for volcano 7+

Last edited:
Im saying that if my p4 can do better in MIPS and MFLOPS and mem bandwith then why are people saying AMD is better for games? Isnt games affected by MIPS and MFLOPS and mem bandwith? I JUST DONT GET IT UGHH

dude i'm tryna get some help overclocking, not tryna start an AMD vs. Intel flame war. and i paid $90 for my chip, if your intel cost you more than about $105 then i got better performance:price. and i know intel doesnt sell P4's that cheap...

I have the 350W Fortron PSU and a Volcano 7+ too, check sig for my results. When running Prime95 my 12V Rail drops to the same as yours, but mine is completely stable. However I do keep my comp in my basement and my ambient temps are low which helps alot. I still have a lot more headroom in my Barton (I think), I just don't want to run over 1.8 Volts.

my ram came today, thanks newegg for the quick ship. i'll see what happens using it after my organic chemistry test tonight :eek:

just wondering, what speed is your 7+ fan at? i use medium because i just cannot take the obnoxiously loud high setting

Back