• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help get google.com back on my compy!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cyrix_2k

I just came back to my compy to find a whole bunch of pop-ups on the screen. I closed out of them but one keeps on coming back. It says privacyoutpost.com. Anyway, if that's not bad enough, it took over google.com! Iy goes to privacyoutpost.com when I type in google.com, but still displays google.com in the address bar. I've already tired norton's "qhost remover" and Adaware 6 with the latest updates. I also tried a program called cwshredder. I'm out of idea's. Please help!

Most likeley you were visiting some sites with... questionable content and they thought it would be funny to alter your hosts file.

Go to Run and type "notepad %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts"
Without quotes and delete the entry for www.google.com Save then exit that. Google should come up normally then.

You have an infection. I forget what it is called, but my son's pc had the same thing. No search engine would work.

I have to dig up the site we went to for the fix.

Thanks everyone.

This is what finally worked:
Go to Run and type "notepad %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts"

When posted the "bump", I didn't see any of the posts except my first one. Somehow the website screwed my browser up and it wasn't updating the threads! :mad: Ad Aware 6 fixed that.

Back