• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

flopy drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Teac's and Mitsumi's are old favorites, NEC's aren't bad, but personally I've been using Sony floppies for the past few years. I've yet to have one die, but have had some Teacs and Mitsumi's die prematurely.

Some say "it's a floppy, who cares!" but I take care to pick out the Sony's...9 bucks just like the rest, but IMO they work well.

Floppies?! We don't need no stinking floppies! :D

I've got something I ripped out of an old HP. I like to keep it in my bin of computer parts, though.

Like it or not, the floppy is still the quickest way to
flash your BIOS.

In the past I have used NEC, Teac, and Mitsumi floppy drives
and all the NEC were quite noisy with the Teac not far behind.

For my new Black Panther rig I bought the Alps brand
drive. It's by far the fastest and most quiet floppy
I've ever owned. I'd highly recommend it. :D

Alps Black 3.5inch Floppy Disk Drive = $11 delivered from NewEgg

Best of luck! :)

Susquehannock said:
Like it or not, the floppy is still the quickest way to
flash your BIOS.

Most of the time nowadays you can flash your BIOS from inside of Windows. No need to use a floppy.

CamH said:
Most of the time nowadays you can flash your BIOS from inside of Windows. No need to use a floppy.

Against my advice my mate tried that. Little did I know, he had SystemWorks running in the background. Took ages to undo the damage....

Back