• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

raid 0 question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

$anch3z

ok i have 2 sata maxtor drives now (well ones in post;) ) i have read the articles referring to raid 0 and am still unclear on one small noobish question ....can i keep my 60 gig maxtor in ide as well as having the 2 120's in raid 0? thanks in advance:D

ok another question ....i assume that leaving 1 drive as ide will impair my performance how do i go about loading windows onto a raid 0 setup ? is it the same as normal or do i configur the raid 0 first?

The one IDE drive will have no affect on RAID performance. First make sure you setup the RAID 0 array in the RAID BIOS. Also have the SATA Raid controller drivers on a floppy. Then right when Windows install starts up it'll say press F6 to install RAID or SCSI drivers, do that with the floppy in and during the setup it'll prompt you to pick the RAID drivers and then install on the RAID. I'd keep the IDE drive out of the PC so you don't mix them up on the install.

it's no problem installing an operating system on a raid setup, just like previous poster said, as soon as you hook up the raid(to be) drives. Take out the powerconnector out of the IDE drives( so that they won't be recognized)

During post>enter the RAID setup utility, then format the drive, IF RAID0 it will see it as one drive.
Then just install an operating system, like any other drive.

I just did it like that too, with one IDE drive still in my system, I madt sure it was unplugged during OS-install

Back