• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant set mulitplier higher then 4.0??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
outhouse (Apr 29, 2001 03:58 p.m.):
what multiplier are you talking about?
Well there is only 1 type of multiplier i know of...
and mine set at 4.0 as default and the only way i know how to set it to 4.5 is with dip switches
in the bios is is gray and can't be changed
anyone know why?

I believe ive heard that with slot 1 processors you cannot change the multiplier cause its locked. Im a newb so who knows. My P3 500 is locked at 5. no matter what i change it to it stays at 620 MHz.

intel locks the multiplyer on it's chips and there is no known way of changin it, on the plus side this means that boards that don't support a very high multilpyer can still run chips with high mutliplyers

Shadow ÒÓ (Apr 29, 2001 10:12 p.m.):
for overclocking AMD is hands down the best for overclocking. You'll get FAR better results on average. However that doesn't make it the best. =)

Nah, would have to disagree. The whole multiplier thing bores me. My 700E@1071 far outperforms any TBirds that I've run at same speeds.

cw823 (Apr 29, 2001 10:36 p.m.):
Shadow ÒÓ (Apr 29, 2001 10:12 p.m.):
for overclocking AMD is hands down the best for overclocking. You'll get FAR better results on average. However that doesn't make it the best. =)

Nah, would have to disagree. The whole multiplier thing bores me. My 700E@1071 far outperforms any TBirds that I've run at same speeds.

Agreed that it's not all the time. That's why I threw in the "on average" part. I'd prefer a 700 celly to an AMD just due to it's results. However chips higher like mine (933) don't have much sucess. (1022 was the best stable speed I ever got)

Ok Clarification........on AVERAGE the AMD is better..however Intel produced some outstanding chips that would surpass AMDs at times.

Back