Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > AMD Motherboards
AMD Motherboards
Forum Jump

upgrading mobo

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 02-10-04, 05:27 PM Thread Starter   #1
Trypt

EDIT: ignore this message, read "mobo buying" by ME

I already posted a similar request in general hardware, but this is a bit different and more specific. I want to upgrade my board (sig) to a board that is similar in all aspects, but it also locks the agp/pci bus. I made a mistake when I bought the kt600 chipset, which although great, does not lock the pci/agp bus. I am under the impression that all nforce2 boards lock the agp/pci bus, is this correct?

I'd like to upgrade to a board that has onboard audio (5.1 or 6 channel), SATA, usb 2.0 (the more the better, mine has 8, although I'll be happy with 4+), and definitely onboard LAN..

Also, i need some info on performance gains for dual channel ram.. Should I worry about that at all and go to 2x256 ocz pc-3200 or pc-3500?? will I notice a big increase from my ram? I know there probably won't be much of a diff with the cpu I run now, but I am planning on a tbredB or barton 2500+ which I will run at over 200fsb.

That being said, which companies and revisions of mobo's should I look at? I see that the asus is very popular as is the abit nforce2, so I just need to know the pros and cons of these boards, and which is the best (for overclocking purposes and features)

Finally, should I upgrade my mobo/ram at all? I mean my mobo/ram is pretty new stuff, and I could just upgrade my chip and make sure I get an unlocked one, and then just stick to 210fsb, which is the highest I'll go considering the pci/agp bus is not locked, and I am on a multiplier..

Thanx in advance.

* Mushkin Redline 2x4GB 9-10-9-27 1833MHz * EVGA 470GTX 1280MB GDDR5 @750/1775 * Two Dell 2405fpw 24" LCD monitors
* Intel X25-M G2 80GB OS SSD + WD 1TB + WD 1.5TB Internal SATA HDDs --==-- WD 1.5TB + WD 3.0TB External SATA HDDs
* LG Lightscribe 16x DVD/RW * Logitech Navigator Keyboard & MX Anywhere mouse & Speakers & QuickCam Fusion

Last edited by Trypt; 02-10-04 at 08:14 PM.
Trypt is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Overclockers Approved
Which motherboard should you buy? Get the final word here. Check out the latest Overclockers reviews:
ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard Review

ASRock teamed up with overclocker Nick Shih to make a high-end overclocking-based, yet functional for all users, motherboard named the Z77 OC Formula. It appears they have achieved it. Read More.

Get it at NewEgg for $239.99
ASUS Maximus V Formula Motherboard

The Maximus V Formula is part of the ROG (Republic of Gamers) series of motherboards, which in itself brings a high level of expectation. It's a no brainer, Overclockers Approved! Read more.

Get it at NewEgg for $279.99
Old 02-10-04, 05:42 PM Thread Starter   #2
Trypt

ok, I've done some research, let me know what you think of the following, and what the diffs are, if any, i will include the prices for comparrison purposes:

abit an7 ($145 CND)
abit nf7-s ($139 CND)
asus a7n8x ($117 CND)
asus a7n8x-E deluxe ($165 CND, what is the diff between this one and the a7n8x?)
MSI K7N2-DELTA-ILSR ($154 CND)

the above are all the nforce2 boards at one store, i'll find some more at other stores, especially gigabyte which i hear good things about.

* Mushkin Redline 2x4GB 9-10-9-27 1833MHz * EVGA 470GTX 1280MB GDDR5 @750/1775 * Two Dell 2405fpw 24" LCD monitors
* Intel X25-M G2 80GB OS SSD + WD 1TB + WD 1.5TB Internal SATA HDDs --==-- WD 1.5TB + WD 3.0TB External SATA HDDs
* LG Lightscribe 16x DVD/RW * Logitech Navigator Keyboard & MX Anywhere mouse & Speakers & QuickCam Fusion
Trypt is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-11-04, 08:57 AM   #3
apenland01

The best board in those you listed is the ABIT NF7-S. It has the SATA, onboard soundblaster, LAN. It's also the least expensive which is why I chose it since it had all the features I wanted. Avoid the ASUS X version since it doesn't have the onboard LAN or SATA if I remember correctly. When researched boards a few months back, I immediately discounted the ASUS X version from my list as it didn't have what I needed.

Check out ASUS homepage to compare for yourself.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > AMD Motherboards
AMD Motherboards