• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting Started with dual P3 700's...where to begin?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eric C

I need help! I have been assembling parts to build a server, however, I have changed my mind and want to build a nice graphics workstation / game machine. I have been looking over the OC info on the web and I frankly don't know where to start. Here's the specs so far:

Intel Pentium III 700 Slot 1 (x2)
512 Mb PC133 SDRam (Kingston)
Tyan MoBo: Tiger 133 (S1834) Motherboard

Where to start>> I have other parts ordered, but where do I start with this stuff? Anyone in the Cleveland, Ohio area who has a clue make sure you right back to me! All help is appreciated. Thanks.

Suggestions on Video Cards are needed to. I have a 3dfx Voodoo with 32 Mb in there as what I hope to be a secondary card. I am looking for advice on a great main card for gaming and graphics.

If you want a gaming machine, dual processors aint gonna help much. Most games are made for win9x/ME and them dont use more than one processor. You could get win2k but youll lose a LOT of performance that way, win2k is bloatware all over. WinNT gives better performance but less stability. For best performance and stability get Linux, but then hardly any games will run...
So its up to you, what you gonna use it for.

Personally i dont think dual processors is worth it. Singel processor system generally are easier to OC and cheaper to buy.

yep, wunder is right!! i had my dual p3-750 with abit VP6. it was hard to oc then normal single P3 750. this is due to cooling method. like now, i need to spend twice as much as normal single cpu to cool those P3 750! it not worth!! and sometime one cpu can oc higher then another. in that case, u will sacrifice the highest speed and run at the speed which dual cpu can reach. but if u like to do so then everything will be fine, coz the decision is up to u.
kinda regret to buy dual cpu! :(

Hey Lightning,

Off topic, but I gotta ask, does that Abit board of yours not support 133 mhz? I'd love it if my mb went up in 1 mhz increments, then maybe I could reach a Prime95 stable point above 133. As it is I must jump from 133 to 138 where this 750 of mine just insists on being flakey.

Pardon the interruption. Carry on. :)

anvil

The VP6 can do 1MHz increments up to about 160MHz FSB. From what I have read about the Tiger 133 it is unsuitable for overclocking for the most part. I have an MSI 6904D-AR that is also a pain. The VP6 is an overclockers dream- I have 2 at 1GHz with 700e's and NO problems.

Back