• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Brand new Cellery II not working at all!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mike D

Registered
I have just bought a celeron 600 (cCO stepping) and an asus FCPGA slotket. I put them into my abit BH6 (v1.0X and ss bios) and ended up with no post or anything at all. The drives fans etc were all on but there was no signal on the monitor and no reassuring startup beep signifying a cold bootup and all was well. The voltage was set to cpu default(1.70v) on the slotket and everything else is fine with the system because I put my 550 katmai back in and everything posted and booted normally. What could cause this? Has anybody run into this problem before? I'm hoping that its a bad slotket not a bad cpu because of the trouble I went to to find a cCO stepping 600(they're being discontinued, supposedly). I was thinking there was a voltage problem but I've heard people with the same board that I have having no problem putting a celeron into a v1.0 BH6, actually at firingsquad.com they did the exact thing I'm trying and were completely successful with little trouble and an old bios that did not support cellermines. I'm itching to overclock this thing. Thanks for any input you can give me.

I once had a slocket go bad. Took it back for a warranty replacement and happily returned home to install it. It DIDN'T boot! Thinking the worst I placed my chip in another system and it booted fine. Called my wholesaler to find out some slockets are incompatable with some boards. I returned the slocket (both the bad one and the unusable ones were generic) and purchased an ABit slocket. Worked great, but greyed out my OC settings like FSB and Voltage. Upset I got a new board.

So to answer your question.......yes some slockets are bad or incompatable.

Before you do anything further...check the Abit website for the latest BIOS on the board. Your board may not be recognizing that you have a much LOWER voltage requirement, even though the slotket is set properly. Flash the BIOS to the latest version, set the slotket to defaults, and pray that you didn't kill the chip with an overvoltage.

Good luck

Newbie_Doo (May 18, 2001 07:57 p.m.):
Before you do anything further...check the Abit website for the latest BIOS on the board. Your board may not be recognizing that you have a much LOWER voltage requirement, even though the slotket is set properly. Flash the BIOS to the latest version, set the slotket to defaults, and pray that you didn't kill the chip with an overvoltage.

Good luck

that is a good thing to try. Try the chip/slocket combination and the chip with another slocket or by itself in another motherboard.

Have ya made sure the sloket is set for Cumine? Did ya clear yer cmos? Some will jump at this, but some BH6 will not run Cumine chips. The majority will it seems, but some won't. If I can find it, someone posted somewhere about BH6 boards with certain caps that wouldn't run the Cumine. I'll look around and try to find this :)

Okay, I couldn't get the link to work so I copied this :
> Can someone tell me whether or not the Abit BH6 Rev 1.01 supports the
> PIII 100 FSB Coppermine in either Slot 1 or FCPGA format ?

1. Use the latest BIOS version -> SS for Abit BH6 1.0x

2. Check your Mosfet ID version -> Mosfets are transistors set next to
the CPU slot. You should find one of these IDs :
- 45N03LT - 50N03LT - 55N03LT - L3103S
-> Mosfets with ID 45N03LT could have problems with Coppermine CPUs.

3. You may use CPUs with 100 MHz as maximum value for FSB -> this means
that You can't use PIII CPU with a "B" designator [133 MHz FSB].
- http://support.intel.com/support/processors/sspec/p3p.htm
- http://support.intel.com/support/processors/sspec/icp.htm

4. You must check that your motherboard can provide the core voltage
required by the CPU.
- http://support.intel.com/support/processors/pentiumiii/voltreq.htm

5. You should follow the thermal specifications for the CPU and the fan
heatsink.
- http://support.intel.com/support/processors/pentiumiii/thermal.htm

According to these rules,you may choose between the following PIII Cpus:

. 1 GHZ - S.E.C.C.2 Cartridge - SL4KL - SL4BR - cC0 - 70C - 1.70 Volts
.900 MHZ - FC-PGA Form Factor - n/a - SL4SD - cC0 - 70C - 1.70 Volts
.850 MHZ - FC-PGA Form Factor - SL4MC - SL4CC - cC0 - 80C - 1.70 Volts
.850 MHZ - S.E.C.C.2 Cartridge - SL4KH - SL4BW - cC0 - 80C - 1.70 Volts

I'm running a CII 600 in my BH6 ver. 1.0 board right now and have had no problems at all. You already have the latest bios (SS) which is good.I agree with a couple of the other posts, make sure the sloket is set to Coppermine and not Celeron or PPGA. Most definately before booting with the Celly installed, clear the CMOS using the jumper on the motherboard.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions but I've still had no luck. I tried clearing cmos to no avail and I had already tried to set the slocket to coppermine once again resulting in absolutely no post. I'm probably going to bring the chip and slocket back and have them test them to see which one is screwed up. Is it more likely to be the chip or slocket? Once again thanks for your help. :)

IF you were unfortunate enough to boot with the slocket set to Celeron and not Coppermine, you probably fried the CPU. I hope not. The Celeron default voltage is 2.2V, which is WAY beyond what the Celeron2 and P3 max voltages are. I wish you luck at the store.

Anthony

Newbie_Doo (May 20, 2001 01:09 p.m.):
IF you were unfortunate enough to boot with the slocket set to Celeron and not Coppermine, you probably fried the CPU. I hope not. The Celeron default voltage is 2.2V, which is WAY beyond what the Celeron2 and P3 max voltages are. I wish you luck at the store.

Anthony

I don't doubt you Newbie_Doo but check out this screen shot of specs for my Costa Rica 600 cC0 sl4pb. Is this an erroneous assertion by Asus Probe? Note that it states that my chip supports 2.9 Volts. No way would I try it. My Bios offers max VCore of 2.0 anyway.

Thanks Again all.:) It was a bad cpu after all. I brought it back and they tested it and replaced it with another (still C II 600 cCO surprisingly). I think its a display model that they were running but hell it got me to 900 right out of the box and fully stable at 1.75 v. Once again thanks for the suggestions and one more question what is the default latency of the L2 cache? I read somewhere that one of the reasons why celerons were crap compared to PIIIs was because their L2 cache had higher latency than PIIIs. Anyways there is an option in the bios to change this setting so I was wondering if it will actually affect the performance ie change the latency if I lower it or is this value also locked?

No, the reason the Celery is crap next to the PIII is L2 size. You can no longer manipulate the cache latency. I beleive if ya could you'd see even more Cellies doin' the gig jig.

I have just upgraded my BM6 with a celeron800. I had the same questions.
I ended up with an adaptor from www.powerleap.com an FC-PGA to PPGA Neo S370, it has been running now for the last few days. Previously I had a cel466 which was not a cC0 so when I plugged in my new celeron, it did not come on at all.

Back