• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gold dust?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evil T C

Typical, i go to buy myself an sp94 and a vantec tornado, should be simple enough.....cept the sp94 is out of stock everywhere i look( im in UK by the way) finally managed to track down somewhere that i can get the tornado tho.

If any of you lot know somewhere in UK i can buy an sp94 from please tell me

oh yeh also, once i finally get them and the rest of my stuff i was thinking of ducting the fan straight to the fan on the side of my case, couple of questions:

is it better to suck the hot air off the heatsink and out of the case? or pull in fresh air from outside?

also if anyone has any experience of building ducts a few pointers would help.

i would build it out of perspex(or other see-through rigid material, for the picky ones amongst you :) ) although the side panel of my case has to be pulled towards the back before being lifted off.

so is a flexible duct a better idea or could i split the rigid duct in half and use rubber or foam to seal the two halfs when pushed together?

Last edited:
EvilTC,
Your question seems to pop up here at least once a week.

The easy answer is that most heatsinks work better with the air blowing into them.

The smart answer would be "try it both ways and decide for yourself".

Cooling setups are, by definition, highly unique.
The cliche, "your results may vary", is useful to keep in mind when asking about them....

the title to my topic is gold dust because of the sayin "xxxxxxx is like gold dust" meaning the subject is rare/impossible to find IE: i cant find anywhere in the uk that has it in stock. xxxxxxx in this case being the SP94

right forget bout the in/out airflow bit of my post.........can anyone help with the rest of it? or am i on my own?

no-one i know knows anything/little about pc's never mind modding and overclocking so this place is the only way i can learn bout it. it helps to have someone else to bounce ideas off of and to let me know if i have interpreted right all the info i spend hours reading from off of here.

3" or 4" laundry dryer duct, or an automotive duct, for easy no hassle ducting?

4" duct fits fairly well around a square 80mm fan.

I agree that most HSF's work better with air down onto the heatsink, but on the other hand if you reverse the fan and duct out, you may do nearly as well as ducting in, and you'll be keeping your case (and things in your case like gfx cards, chipsets, and drives) quite cool in the process.

The above doesn't apply if you already have like 80 CFM going through your case.

I'd also speculate that you'd take a drastic temp rise from reversing the fan on an SP-94.

directron etc sell ducting kits, too ... $20 or so ...

the wesson

yeh i looked both them places too, thanks anyway Blanks :) overclock.co.uk have a pre-order(expected one week) so i think i'll do that. kustompc's was the only place i could find that had a 92mm tornado in stock tho.

TheWesson....... thanks for ur advice, been thinkin more bout it.

the case i have is the thermaltake lanfire which has four fans, two 80mm at front and two 92mm side and rear.

is it a better idea to duct out of my case without using the side fan? i wasnt wanting to go cutting holes in my case but if it would disturb the airflow balance within my case by using one of the output fans then cutting a hole would be better yes?
and would having a fan at both ends of the duct be beneficial?i figure they could move more air but i could be wrong(hence the question)

i was thinking of putting a window in the top of my case further down the line anyway

what are your ambient temps? with those fans, i doubt they suck..(the temps ;))
If your ambient is a lot above your room temp, then i would advise you to not build a duct, --> why do you want the duct.

The way the fan is on the HS and perform better, that way is different for each rig, but i want to give you some advise:

Someone else once had an sp-94 and a tornado methinks, and when he pulled of the tornado, he saw that it had a great dead-spot, so you might want to attach a dead fan (cut out the center) between the HS and the tornado to kill the dead-spot...

personally id say you want air to go in the duct, and not come out, but this depends on the rig (cliche :p)

post your ambient temps, then we can give you a bit more advice, maybe its better to not have a duct..

edit: cheaper anyway lol:D

cant post any temps......cos my rig aint built yet(cant get the parts i want) but its getting there, will post temps once i get it up and running, i'v been looking for a 92-80mm fan adapter to combat the deadspot but cant find any. are they easy enough to botch?

You would do better to use the tornado as an intake fan on your case, then use the duct to narrow the flow of air down to the size of your heatsink. A 92-80mm fan adapter will hurt flow a bit because it decreases the area at such a sharp angle - so it would be a trade off between dead spot and adapter.

I would use one fan at intake of duct instead of two fans in series.

Just my .02 :)

IMOG said:
You would do better to use the tornado as an intake fan on your case, then use the duct to narrow the flow of air down to the size of your heatsink. A 92-80mm fan adapter will hurt flow a bit because it decreases the area at such a sharp angle - so it would be a trade off between dead spot and adapter.

I would use one fan at intake of duct instead of two fans in series.

Just my .02 :)

bump...this sounds like a good idea, will probably work well for you.

thanks for that IMOG :D thats exactly why read these forums and ask u lot stuff.

hadnt thought of doing it that way seemed to have the notion stuck in my head i needed a fan directly ontop of the heatsink.

anyone know of any 92mm duct kits?
or do i need to use my initiative?

Back