• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit AI7 P4 3.0 Project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JohnnyCNote

I'm on the verge of building my next computer and have narrowed it down to an Abit AI7 and a P4 3.0. I'm not looking for any serious overclocking. Some would be nice, but it's not a dealbreaker if it doesn't happen.

What RAM would you guys suggest? I'm looking at 1gig of either Corsair and Mushkin PC3200. Is this overkill, or a good choice? I'm going to be using this computer for DVD ripping and authoring for the most part. My current system does the job fine, but I'm going to give it to my brother and his daughter since their current one (a Celeron 300 o/c'd to 450) is on its last legs. It would be nice to get that sort of result from the P4 3.0, but I'll settle for what I can get.

Thanks....

Dont expect to get a 50% overclock on the 3.0 gig like that celeron thats for sure . From what I've seen the 3.0Gigs (SLKWU) are hitting 3.6Ghz+ on air easy. Some of the other 3.0's aren't very overclockable.

As for RAM i have the IC7-G with Muskin Level 1 3200 and it runs quite nicely. I probably would have went with the Corsair but I figure they are about equal in performance so I saved the extra couple bucks.

Oh wow, prices are changing quick on memory I just bought the Level 1 two weeks ago for $218.00 that's what I would have suggested since it gives you tighter timings (2-3-2) but its selling for $245 now. And if you wanted to go that price I'd buy the Mushkin "222" special.

I can't really say wether the Blue is any good and I'd hate to give you bad advice. Maybe someone else with the Blue experience will chime in.

Edit:
Although if you're looking at the Blue, with the timings it has you might consider the Corsair Value Select I think it has similar timings.

Last edited:
With PC3200, you'll have to use the 5:4 ratio above about 215 to 225 FSB or so (give or take a little) depending on what RAM you get and how well it overclocks. While some people are getting 3.75 with good air cooling, probably a more realistic goal is 3.5 gig and if you get more... that's icing on the cake. If you want decent RAM for a good price, look into the Kingston HyperX PC3000. Mine performs on par with some PC3500 for lots cheaper.

ya iw ould go with some faster ram gives you more head room, but also make sure that the faster ram will run tighter timing then rated if you need to go to the 5:4 divider kingston hyperx is good and the prices are on par right now grabbem while you can

Back