• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

74 degrees cpu temp.......my eye!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xplos!ve

i recently upgraded my k7s8x 2 a gigabyte ga-7n400 pro 2 nforce 2 board with my old board bios sed i was getting 36degrees idle with standard thermal paste that came with cooler then wen i got my new board i obviously had 2 re-apply compund so i bought sum AS5 and while i was at it bought a cooler twice the size of my original one. so i done it all and went 2 bios and i am getting 50 degrees and 32 degrees case temp (but i have all panels off with about 10 fans going and im in my study with no heating as its an extension) but before on my puny little cooler and turd thermal paste i was getting 36 wots going on!?!?!?!?!?

Try rephrasing your post in english... I even ran it through Babblefish.com and it did not understand it either. :)

Try a remount on the HS ..Your case temp is almost 90°F thats HOT..what is the ambient(room)temp? Your mobo may be reporting the temps wrong too.

There isn't anything there that isn't clear to me TBurt... Maybe someone should airmail you to babelfish and see if they can figure you out. ;) Just kidding. :D

Xplos!ve: What cooler did you "upgrade" to? Sheer size does not guarantee performance. ;)

How confident are you that you mounted correctly? You need to make sure you are mounted correctly and run load testing to see how the temps respond to load. :)

BTW, that 32C case temp may actually be a chipset temp... Are you sure where your temp sensors are located? With that many fans and a room you make sound "cool", I would imagine thats a chipset temp. It sounds just right for that.

did u apply too much thermal paste. remember more is not always better. def try to remount the hsf. take it off clean it witl alcohol pad and the chip too then reapply the paste. just a little then mount hsf and then u should be good

Hey now, there aren't any units reported with those temps. If those temps are in Farenheit, I think he's running pretty darn cool...IMHO:D

J/K

Make sure the amount of compound you use is very very little,all you are trying to do is fill in the gaps between the 2 surfaces.And these are usually small groves in the heatsink itself.

Go to artic silvers site for complete directions.if you are unsure how to apply it..

Definatly go with what everyone has already said in this thread, check mounting of heatsink, thin layer of AS, etc.

But what I might add, is, the socket on your old motherboard could have read low, or maybe with the new motherboard you are reading the core temp and not the socket? Anyways, you should read the core and not the socket. Click the link in my sig to find out why.

Also another possibility is that the new heatsink is not flat on the bottom. If so, which is probably the case, PM me if you do not know what lapping is or how to do it. It lowered my temps by 8 degrees C.

Also, by taking the sides off of your case does not really do anything, becuase hot air can still build up in there. If you put a box fan on the side and have it on low is should just move the hot air out of your case so there is no buildup.

Good Luck!
-0cer
:cool:

Back