• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 - 120mm Blowholes on top of case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nissmo300

Will this dramatically reduce the heat the piles inside the case ( as heat rises). Has anyone done this to their case? Any pics?

I cant answere for 3 but i can answere for two
In my case i have a dual 120mm rad sitting ontop with a whole cutout so that it blows hot air down. With a rad its pretty bad as my case temps are around 38 Celcius. I think having 3 120mm is just overkill specailyl for air cooling.

I just added 1 -120 mm blow hole fan this moves 130 cfm my temps went down about 3 or 4 degrees c. This was on the bottom rig in my sig.

sprocketside.jpg

The three 120mm Comair-Rotron Muffin XLs ( 108 CFM each) on my roof help keep my full load temps under 37° (XP2600+ at 11.5x200).

It works well...you may or may not like the looks....

Well, let's see...
2 x 80mm on the back ( mounted on clear TT ducts)...
1 x 80mm on the front to intake over the PSU (upper two optical bays)...
1 x 120mm lower front...
1 x 120 mm on the right side ( cooling the back of the socket and the northbridge)....

Erm, yup, I think I have enough.

I was thinking about making my case like this:

nissmo300-pic1.jpg

Have 2 intake fans from the front forcing air in. Have the 2 fans in the back force air in. Since my case has about 1in clearance in the bottom have 3 120mm fans intake cool air from the bottom and force the air comming from the intakes and sending it through the MB and components out the top through 3 120mm blowholes.

Some many say this is overkill but there is no dead air anywhere in the case and it's constantly getting cooled from the sides blowing the hot air out the top (heat rises to the top).

Tell me what you think?

I don't think there's a real need for the 3 bottom 120's. Maybe vents will be enough? What about a side blowhole blowing air across the mb and other components? It's nice to have no dead air but not all parts of the case need to be actively cooled. For those areas air will find its way in if you have the exhausts and vents. I have 2 120mm exhausts at the top myself and it does fine keeping out the heat being dump into my case due to my radiator.

(2nd 120 added near the back above the cpu section after the pic was taken) http://supasoja.homestead.com/files/cubecase/fronttop.jpg

http://supasoja.homestead.com/files/cubecase/leftsideopen.jpg

bottom in, top exhaust idea is pretty good, but i think 6 120 is a overkill +too loud.

soja - wow that top fan looks really pro. can you expalin briefly you how did it? what tools and such. and that black washer thing underneath the grill, did come with the grill or...?

Last edited:
Nissmo,

I'm not sure that the 2 intakes in the lower front are going to be necessary...they are probably pretty restricted by the front bezel anyway, right?

I like the bottom-to-top airflow pattern ( I've used it myself).

Make sure that your PSU is up to the task of spinning all those 120mm fans....

Three top blowhole 120mm fans is enough for case airflow in most scenarios. What I'd do is seal off as much of the case as possible and provide some passive intake vents in the front and back of the case, preferrably filtered. I'd look for a total area of no less than 120x240mm. The 120's will suck air through those vents easily.

In addition, I'd capitalize on the opportunity to have the 3 120's exhausting through a large topmounted heatercore! A system with that much airflow and radiator surface can cool down CPU, NB and VGA quite effectively- reducing case temps further. //edit:// with the core on top, I'd recommend 38mm thick fans for increased pressure.

you know... if you've got these fans already, you can get the same effect as that MS paint pic is indicating by simply taking the top panel off of your case - all of that intake will have nowhere else to go up up... ;)

however, while 120mm fans as a rule are quieter for the CFM they push, compared to 80mms, when you're pushing THIS much air the air itself will be making some noise (turbulance... sound like a big WHOOOSH)... so if you actually took off the top of your case that would certainly minimize turbulance noise of all that air through fan blades/grills/vents that you'd otherwise have up there...

and as long as you want THIS much airflow, you may as well get a fan the size of your case panel and mount that sucker in place of the panel - cheaper, easier (than cutting 6+ individual holes), and probably nearly the same CFM w/ less noise ;)!

I did this exact same thing. I cut 3 holes in the top of my case and put three chrome 120mm fans on the top.

From that experience I learned it was a waste of time and money. I only did it to say man I have three 120mm fans! Gay. You learn not to do these things later in life. I use about 4 80mm fans now in a normal case and get the same cooling results as the setup with 3 120 mm fans. Not to mention it was loud and sucked in lots of dust. By the way that 3 blowhole 120mm case is in the trash. Save your money!

My 3 blowhole 120mm case had 3 up top, 1 80mm rear, 1 mm front. With P4 and radeon 9700pro. All powered by sparkle 350W just fine.

nissmo300 said:
I was thinking about making my case like this:

nissmo300-pic1.jpg

hail the paint pro! :) anyway, it's good air flow, but in a not so good direction. even if you put just 1 120mm fan at the top, your temps will drop with all fans pointing in the normal direction.

Back