• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Choosing between NB coolers for an AI7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Which NB cooler?

• Swiftech MCX159-P (non-passive)

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • Zalman ZM-NB47J (passive)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

macklin01

Computational Oncologist / Biomathematician / Mode
Hello, all!

I'm trying to choose between 2 NB coolers for my AI7:

choice #1)
Swiftech MCX159-P
link: http://www.svc.com/mcx159-p.html
copper base; aluminum spiral fins; 6CFM, 18 dBA fan
has the hook mounting that's immediately compatible with mobo

choice #2)
Zalman ZM-NB47J
link: http://www.svc.com/zanoco.html
all aluminum, passive cooler
would have to be mounted by a mod

Some considerations:
1) My primary goal is to allow a moderate overclock (in the 230 MHz - 250 MHz FSB range) while maintaining stability on 3-4 sticks of RAM and maintaining quiet.
2) I also have a Zalman passive heatsink for my vid card, as well as a Thermalright SP-94 with 92mm fan, so the final choice will need to fit with that.
3) If mounting the Zalman, I'd imagine that I'd use Arctic Alumina adhesive. I'm not entirely sure how I want to mount it, however.

So, you're opinions on what's the best way to go would be greatly appreciated. If anybody has an AI7 or similar mobo and has experiences on the clearances involved, that would be fantastic, too.

Okay, thanks a lot! I'll look forward to hearing what you all have to say. :) -- Paul

No that your exactly asking, but I moved from the AI7 stock HSF and went to water cooling on the NB but was unable to achieve a more stable overclock. Don't know if this is other people experience but I was able to achieve 250 fsb with no problem before the change.

Interesting. So in essence, you're voting neither, as improved cooling didn't help your OC?

The primary reasons I'm thinking of improving cooling are (1) to get more efficient, quieter cooling, and (2), it seems that when I have more than 2 sticks of RAM, memtest does well on the first loop or two, but when I do multiple loops, I start getting transient errors, as though temps in the NB are increasing or the voltages are sagging.

Interesting observation. Thanks -- Paul

me say Swiftech MCX159-P because its a way better cooler if you have the money

Mr.Radar said:
Have you considered the Thermalright NB-1? It gets within less than a degree of the Swiftech but is much less expensive.

I'd like to know as well if this NB-1 is better choice for the nb than the swiftech. Has anyone try it and see any improvement from it, I'd like to know what people think about this heatsink/fan.

Back