• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magick_man

Forum Magician
like i said i need help. i have no idea what to do with my computer, i want to mod it but i am not sure what to do. i am going to put 2 80mm blowholes on the top but what else. i have my pics up at the following link.

http://www.msnusers.com/picturesofshiot/shoebox.msnw?Page=Last

also while you are there check out the designs i made for some fan grills i am going to make. tell me which one you like and any suggestions you might have.

thnx, MagicK_MaN:attn:

Well if you want to mod it, and you want us to give you our thoughts, what do you plan to do with your rig? Lan? Overclock? Increase cooling? If you tell us your objectives we can render assistance better than tossing out random ideas.

well i will be doing a little bit of lan but mostly i want to o.c. it and put better cooling in.i am thinking of either sp-94 with a mid-nigh cfm fan or i might water cool it if i can get enough money together. i am going to go get a fan controller and some quiet 80mm fans (vantec stealths) for the blowholes i hope to put in this weekend.

ok i just got back from frys a couple hours or so ago. while there i purahcsed a ZALMAN cnps 7000 Al-Cu, 2 80mm Vantec Tornadoes, and a Vantec Nexus 4-port fan controller, and a tube of AS5.

i was planning to use the tornadoes one for a blowhole and one for intake but they are louder than i expected even at the lowest setting on the nexus. so now i am thinking that i will take them back and get the 80mm stealth's i was going to get (they were out)

BTW my cpu is still running at 41-42 idle and 51 running seti (50%cpu usage) what is going on here is this hsf not as good as i had hoped. should i exchange it for the all copper version? or should i just get a different one?

Magick_Man

*EDIT* the temps posted were at 2.4ghz

Last edited:
magick_man said:
ok i just got back from frys a couple hours or so ago. while there i purahcsed a ZALMAN cnps 7000 Al-Cu......should i exchange it for the all copper version? or should i just get a different one?

Magick_Man

Interesting question actually. I am curious about that and this is why. The copper is a better conductor of heat than aluminum. However, each metal has properties to consider which may make the one you have better. The copper tends to be better at taking heat away from the source, while aluminum is better at giving up the heat to air.

Anybody here have some data on that?

EDIT: Found just what I was looking for Here
It seems the one you have may have an edge.
Look near the bottom for chart.

Last edited:
My experience with the Zalman 7000 shows that it is very sensitive to a good, fresh supply of cool air.
Perhaps a duct from the sidepanel would help.

i dont think air flow is a problem i just put in 2 80mm tornadoes (side of case and top front panel)
the side fan duct is out b/c there is no room to get around my video card
ducting is a good idea but i could only use the rear 120mm fan or the front tornado.
if anyone uses this hsf please post some temps and setup so i can see if it is just me or if this hsf is just not an extrordinay preformer (quiet but not a very powerful cooler)

thnx Magick_Man

the grills shouldnt be messing it up since i just attached a tornado directly to the top of the zalman and i am still getting idle temps of 41-42°c

well i returned the tornadoes and got 2 stealths and also i returned the zalman and im gonna order a sp-94
anyone know of a good relatively quiet mid cfm fan i could use for it

Gee Majik, what will you do if your next batch of parts doesn't instantly give you the result you are hoping for?

Keep in mind that you are modifying your configuration.
Implicit is the need to perform some experiments to dial in the equipment.
Your case is unique, and, althogh guidance from others will be helpful, your results will vary.

I hope for your sake that the new stuff performs well right out of the box, but I sure wouldn't count on it.

magick_man said:
i dont think air flow is a problem i just put in 2 80mm tornadoes (side of case and top front panel)
the side fan duct is out b/c there is no room to get around my video card
ducting is a good idea but i could only use the rear 120mm fan or the front tornado.
if anyone uses this hsf please post some temps and setup so i can see if it is just me or if this hsf is just not an extrordinay preformer (quiet but not a very powerful cooler)

thnx Magick_Man

One the fans, I see two side, two front and one rear (not counting the psu fan). You say the two side fans are blowing out. It would probably be to your advantage to change that. The one fan closet to the hsf is pulling the same air as the Zalman. Also you say that only the front or rear can work not both. Why is that?
Edit: How does the side fan line uo to the video card? Higher lower or about split as it looks in the picture.

If your up to it, try this out for size. Front two intakes, side bottom intake, top side exhaust and rear exhaust. That will pull cool air in the front out the rear in a stream. Then it will pull in more air from the side blowing towards your hsf and mobo. Finally any heat rising in your case will be exhaust at the top side.

Or maybe not, got to try and see. But definetely get that side fan blowing in towards the hsf.

i only have 1 fan in my side panel(80mm intake)
2 in the front behind bezel(80mm intake)
1 rear (120mm exhaust)
2 80mm exhaust fans in psu
and i am going to be putting in 2 80mm blowholes on top (hopefully tomorrow sunday)
when i do that ill prolly make all the others intake

and i actually just got rid of the zalman and ordered a sp-94 with a panaflo 92mm high speed fan

and the side fan like perfectly lines up with the middle of the video card:bang head
which might not be a bad thing cuz i think i am going to get a heat pipe cooler w/no fans (the stock 5900 fan is so LOUD ) and the side panel fan should cool it very well

and if i change my rear 120mm fan to intake i would like to duct it onto the sp-94/panaflo with some dryer hose or something

Back