• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

catasrophic failiure

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Marche

Registered
Hi
If i right click on the desktop then click on my card name tab, i get an error window saying catstrophic failiure and the window in blank.
Any ideas why? Im running a PNY Ti4200 64mb
thanks

what tab are you referring to and where are you at within windows when this happens? Is the name of your card listed in the context menu that pops up when you right click on the desktop?

Yeah, I'm not familiar with the word "catastrophic" in any of the standard Windows error messages. What version of windows is this?

i've had one of these.. it was had to do with my card. i have a ati 9700 pro.. sorry i know this really dont help you much but i wanted to tell you that ive had one of these as well

well i right click on the desktop then click properties, to bring up display properties. then i click on the setting tabs, then the advanced button.
thern it brings up the window which says plug and play monitor on ti4200 at the top. then when i click on the tab saying ti4200 it brings up the error message. its a box with a red cross and at the top ion the blue it it says nvcpl. and in the actually box it says catastrophic failiure.
this is all in windows xp pro

Sounds like driver install went south, or at least the control panel part of it. Try completely removing the drivers (NV driver clean or whatever it's called) and then installing again from scratch. Sounds like the nvcpl.dll file is corrupt, missing, a wrong version or just not registered properly.

yeah the CP is borked just uninstall the driver, run something like drivercleaner followed with a registry sweep to delete all of thoughs invalid entries then restart, reinstall drivers, problem go away :)

My 4400Ti also did this before it died.. So I never found out how to cure it.

Back