• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about a RAID setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

edwardaune

I have as my original drive a Seagate ST380023AS 80Gig SATA which they have stopped making. I have recently purchased a second identical drive to the one that I have but unfortunaltly I had to send it back because it was bad. The replacement that they sent me was the ST380013AS which is the newer of the two models. The whole point of getting the second drive is to run a striped RAID 0 set, and according to everyone that I have talked to you have to have the identical drive. I have called Seagte adn they said that their shouldnt be a problem with using these to drives together and the only thing that they coulc think of as being a problem was with the RAID controller card. Well, I have installed the drive and according to the RAID BIOS there are no conflicts. Am I losing any performance using these two drives together, mind you they are the exact same drive except for the seek time.

The only thing that should be identical is the size of the drives. (and even then it is ok) Other than that I doubt you'll notice any less performance with slightly different seek times.

I can guarantee that you'll have faster access with RAID 0 then using single drives. If not unstripe, test reads and writes, then strip and do it again. You'll never go back to single drives. :D

Back