• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you softmod a 9600SE to a 9800pro?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TUK101

First of all, I am a bit behind in the video card department. I used to run a 9500 softmodded to a 9700. Now I thought that I had saw some threads about peeps being able to softmod the 9600Se's to 9800's. Is this true? If so what is the best brand card to look for, and are there any other things to look for in a 9600SE to increase my chances of getting a good card to softmod? Thanks for any help.

if that 9600se can hit 9800pro speeds then it probably can be done but you will need to get lucky to get a 9600se that will do that...BBA and sapphire and powercolor are the 3 best to me

NO, they are completely different architectures. You may have seen a 9800SE to 9800Pro softmod, but a 9600 to 9800 is impossible since it only has 4 pipelines.

No.

It is not possible in any way, shape, or form. The 256bit 9800se can on occasion however. Somehow, you must have gotten the 9800se and the 9600se confused. The 9600se is a very slow crippled card that generally runs on a 64bit interface vs. the 9800pro's 256bit, plus they are different manufacturing processess.

thank you TruckyJ, ;) i feel bad for people sometimes, well not that bad, because this one is lucky, he can maybe softmod it to a Pro.

i've seen 96se's bios flashed to 96np or pros, but the 256bit architechture and the utterly different design of the 98 series prevents your softmodding experience. Good luck!

If you modded an R9600SE into an 8 pipe, 256bit design, it would fit somewhere in between X800PRO and R9800XT...

Which is impossible, of course.....

TruckyJ is right, I got the 9600SE confused with the 9800SE. Dont feel bad for me either DDR-PIII, I didnt buy the card lol. I would rather ask dumb questions and save my money than spend my money on things that I should have asked dumb quesions about lol. :p

Back