• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help please... Explorer.exe is using 50% of my CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

meth062

hello hello all,

Im running windows XP pro with service pack 1, on a p4 2.8c ghz CPU. Last week I noticed my computer was lagging while doing simple just simple tasks, so I opened up task manager and had a look at the process tab. Everything seemed normal except explorer.exe, which was using 50 cpu (and still is). This is making my computer very laggy. So the first thing i did was use Spybot search and destroy with the latest updates, then I did a full system scan with my antivirus software (on the latest definitions) and when i was finished i found no spyware or any viruses. I also scanned with lavasoft Ad-ware 6, which also found nothing.

I have rebooted multiple times, and when I reboot the explorer.exe uses minimul cpu untill about 2 min after I log on. I disabled my internet connection and monitered the process and it still hogged my cpu, I ran windows update and I have al the latest security updates.

Any help will be GREATLY appriciated, thanks!

Back