• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't power on using power switch

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ladeeluck

I recently built a system for my daughter and am having a problem powering up. The only way I can power up the system is to short the pins on the mb. When I first realized the power switch didn't work I hooked up the power reboot connector to the power switch pins and I could boot the system that way just fine for about three weeks, now that doesn't work. Am I right thinking this is a problem with the case and if it is, is there any way to replace the connectors without replacing the case? This is the case I have http://www.mepotech.com/pd_powmax_02163.cfm

It does sound like it could be the actual case if you are sure you are connecting up the Power Switch correctly. Silly as it may sound, i've even known some cheap cases to have the connectors labelled wrong...
Connectors are very poor on cheap, generic cases. My old case had problems with the front USB 2.0 Ports. Windows couldnt recognising USB devices plugged into them and i always got error messages. I thought it was the Motherboard, but since upgrading to a Chieftec they work fine.
If you really dont want to return it all i can suggest is trying to identify where abouts along the line the fault is occuring, either at the power switch itself or maybe a break somewhere in the cable or on the connectors and trying to fix it yourself.
If you have an old case you could try taking the cable off that and connecting it to the power switch, see if that works.

If you have a power switch on the power supply you could try rigging it up to switch it on with that, bypassing the power switch on the case i suppose.

If you have a power switch on the power supply you could try rigging it up to switch it on with that, bypassing the power switch on the case i suppose.
I'm a newbie to all of this. How would I go about rigging it this way? I have a switch on my power supply.

i dont know how you could rig it up that way, but i googled and found this
http://www.abccables.com/ca-001513.html
its a replacement push button switch, so that could work

you can check to see if it is the actual power button, or if it is the motherboard by turning off the computer, and then instead of using the button to turn it on, short out the 2 pins the connector uses with a screw driver. you only have to touch then for a second, and then remove the screw driver. if it starts up fine like that, then it must be the actual button that doesnt work. if it still doesnt work, then it might be the motherboard, or powersupply

Last edited:
put a multimeter across the 2 pins on the end of the cable, and check continuity across them when you press the switch.

most all ATX switches are identical. pull one from some old trashed ATX case and put it in yours.

Bought a new Chieftec case last week and now everything is working great. Must have been a bad switch in the old case. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Back