• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linksys router: Good? or Bad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

glebka11

What do you think about Linksys routers?
I got my BEFSR41v2 :)

(edited)

Last edited:
I have been using the 4-port BEFSR41 for 4 years now. The only problem I have had was fixed by a firmware update. It works great. It is not a real firewall but uses Network Address Translation (NAT). I have never had a problem from anyone outside getting in. I guess there are too many easier targets for the hackers. I got a wired router because it was cheaper. Wired router are more secure but for some the convenience of wireless outweighs that. If you really want the security you can use a software firewall but the router has one big advantage, simplicty. You can set it up and forget it for the most part. Software firewalls require a lot of tweaking to be really effective.

Actually i bought the same firewall but a bit newer version (second edition).
I'm really happy to hear that the router i bought is great, but i still want other opinions.

Thanks

I have a Linksys WRT54G and I love it. Fast and has a nice little firewall. Once I get the money to grab me a wireless card i'll really be happy. :p

I heared that the port forwarding is really weak there. its like you can open no more than 10 ports.
Is this true?
If yes, can it be fixed?

I'm running a Linksys WRT54G. I have a lot of network traffic, and my old D-Link DI604 used to have to be reset every couple days or it'd just crap out. The Linksys handles it like a pro, and there is hacked firmware available to add to the functionality even more. It's like having a mini-Cisco! (I wish :p)

I used a linksys BEFSR41 for years...till it died...I had no problems even when I was running NFW I had no hits on it...but b4 the linksys I had lots. Matter of fact b4 NFW I was running "atguard" and I got hit 24million times one day in 4-5 hours :eek:

P.S. NFW = Norton FireWall and Atguard was bought out by norton.

my buddy has a cisco router, its funny because if u call the tech support they tell you if you hvae that router you should already know what to do lmao

I have a Netgear non-wirless but I hear good things from people hat use Linksys. My company at work has the whole office up with a Lyksys Wi-Fi Router.

Back