• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just got my new CPU - SL6WU, 12 caps. What to expect?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Galt

I just got an SL6WU with 12 caps. I've heard the 30 cap version is preferable, but are the 12 cappers generally duds? Anyone having luck with them?

From the box, for those who care:
Prod: BX80532PG3000DSL6WU
MM: 852639
FPO: L405A735
Pack: 3/19/04

I have a 12 cap sl6wu and can't get it past 231 fsb without losing stablitiy. What are you hoping to get from it?

I'm hoping for 250 FSB at least. Mobo/RAM is P4C800-E Deluxe and OCZ EB PC3700 512x2. I've got a nice water cooling system with a Swiftech MCW6000 for the CPU.

Well I hope you have more joy with the chip than I have, make sure you let us know how you get on.

I've seen some great overclocks on those 12 cap 3.0C... and a few less than stellar results too. Your mileage may vary. Where did you buy it?

It's from NewEgg. I'm kind of worried because I haven't really seen any great overclocks from the 12 cappers, but I suppose I could get lucky. Most of the results I've seen tend to be around 230 FSB, which isn't enough to make me happy. I'm glad you've seen some better overclocks, that gives me a bit more hope for this chip :D

Galt said:
I just got an SL6WU with 12 caps. I've heard the 30 cap version is preferable, but are the 12 cappers generally duds? Anyone having luck with them?

From the box, for those who care:
Prod: BX80532PG3000DSL6WU
MM: 852639
FPO: L405A735
Pack: 3/19/04

:eek: that CPU shoulda been my B-day Present it was packed on my b-day:D

hi, I just got pretty much an exact one from newegg couple days ago.. sl6wu 12cap. I am waiting for my zalman cooler to arrive later today before I apply as5. Right now on stock voltage and fsb of 225. It's pretty weak. I hope you can push it a bunch once with better cooling, the temp is pretty high on my abit ic7-g, like around 75C on load. I assume if I up the voltage, it'll just make it hotter.

It could post at much higher clock but it wasn't stable enough, hopefulyl it's due to high temp. I guess I'll see in a couple hours.. wish me luck.. :)

My 12-cap sl6wu is stable up to 234 no increase in v's -- thats as far as i've pushed it so far; or at least as far as my ram streches ;-) Im hoping for good results from it -- so far its looking pretty strong :)

~t0m

I actually have pretty much the same ram as you, I'm just using 5:4 divider. I don't really want to dish out any more $$ for upgrade. I just put in the zalman cnps7000a-alcu and applied as5. Failed at 250fsb already.. as i'm posting it, i just failed 240 @ 1.675 w/ prime about 10minutes into it. gonna lower down the fsb, i don't think it'll stay stable at 240. 1.7 is probably the limit anyhow.. I'll keep you guys updated.

I know of a guy who could run it up to 244 fsb stable, but no matter what voltage over that it would become unstable. Strange :S

~t0m

I think my chip max out at 243, it's priming for an hour with no problem at 1.65v. I haven't tried lower voltage yet, but my goal was 3.5 so I'm hitting it if everything goes well... it max load at 70C, I think it's reported higher due to the abit issue I guess.

Btw, i looked at my box, it's the EXACT specs that galt had posted. I wonder he'll get exact results as me.. I wonder if I could lower my voltage some, 1.65 is acceptable but lower would be better.

Mine will do 4.1 at 1.675V on my cooling in sig. This is a 3.0 12 cap SL6WU. I removed the IHS from this chip, this helped the OC by quite a bit on this particular chip. I run this puppy at 3.9 24/7 folding 2 instances. This cpu is a gem :D

4.1.gif

Well, things are looking good so far...

Hopefully this attachment works. More to come later, of course.

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 196
KeepItCool101 said:
Nice oc man, got any temps?? btw nebbie those temps seem really hot

I don't have an OS installed yet, and I haven't been able to stress the system at all (that's the plan for today), but the BIOS is reporting the temps at 27/27. Obviously, it's not at load and BIOS temps aren't to be trusted, but at least it's an indication.

ya they do seem really hot. Even on stock voltage and fsb, it's that hot. Right now, I'm running at about 47C at idle and probably up to 65C or so at load. Again I have abit board, so I don't know how that translate to the actual temperatures.. I'm running at 1.6volt at 234fsb, prime stable.

I'm starting to seriously consider the Vdimm and Vcore mods for my board. It'll POST at 4.12GHz, boot into Windows at 3.9, but only run 3.6 perfectly stable. The RAM is really held back by the measly 2.85V my board gives, so the mod there would do me some good, I'm sure. The core voltage droop at high clock speeds is just outrageous...it kills stability. I've read through dozens of guides on both of those mods, but does anyone have any insight to share about them?

Just got a 3.0C SL6WU with 12 caps today from Zipzoomfly.com (batch=L348B148). Testing it on air at the moment, but I'll probably try water in a day or two. It will do a stable 3.75 gig (250 FSB) with vcore set to 1.55v in the BIOS (my AI7 undervolts a little). To reach 3.8 gig I have to really start pouring the voltage to it. Can't even run at 260 FSB or above.

Back