• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Far Cry + EAX 2.0 + Audigy 2??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pinky

Eax 2.0 doesn't seem to be working with my Audigy 2. Is it supposed to? I get some sound effects but not others. When I turn off hardware mixing I hear the sound effects fine. I've tried a variety of creative sound blaster drivers from the web, none of them correct the issue.

Sounds like you're not using the right drivers. Audigy drivers are very proprietary, so if they aren't specifically for the Audigy, they won't work correctly. I have an Audigy 2 and I use EAX2 with no issues, but I'm using the drivers from the CD. The only thing I can suggest to you is to use the drivers from CD and fiddle with them.

I have the same issue. I think it's the game, I put it in software mode and the game sounds fine, but not as pretty as I'd like it to be :( I also hear like crackling noise but I haven't been able to get a fix.

N1vek215 said:
I have the same issue. I think it's the game, I put it in software mode and the game sounds fine, but not as pretty as I'd like it to be :( I also hear like crackling noise but I haven't been able to get a fix.

Sounds like the same issue (minus the crackling).

JOT, I use only WDM creative drivers... I know better :D.

This is yet another well documented bug in FarCry, some systems using Audigy 2 cards (including mine :cry: ) actually lose some/all sound effects when EAX/Hardware Mixing (or any combination thereof) is checked in the FarCry sound tab. This issue has been beat to death in the Ubi/FarCry forums in terms of drivers, settings in the Creative software, and Windows sound settings. At this point its hoped that a fix will happen with the release of the upcoming (delayed) 1.2 patch, although the list of bugfixes in this patch don't mention anything about sound.

Anyhow, the sound is still fantastic on my system even without EAX enabled, and I really haven't encountered any other problems with graphics or anything else in FarCry. Cool Game. :D

Good Luck
elec.tron

More info here at FarCry forums

What version of Far Cry are you guys running? I didn't bother to update to 1.1, and as yet, I have had no problems with my sound. Weird.

Thats the goofy thing, EAX works fine for some, but not others, even with seemingly similar systems. I patched to 1.1 prior to installing my soundcard so i'm not sure if the first patch may have broken EAX in my case.

There's loads of posts at UBI about sound issues, some fixable for some people, some not, I think its just a case of monkeying around with your system to see if you can get whatever problem you have solved. One guy put his soundcard into a different slot and his sound effects problems went away (don't recall if this was EAX related or not), others have had good luck with lowering Hardware Acceleration in Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Audio > Advanced > Performance, for some sound problems.

I tend to lean toward the game being the root of the problem as opposed to my hardware or hardware configuration being the issue, so i'll wait for (hopefully) another week or so for 1.2 and see what happens, then go from there.

BTW, I loaded the drivers for my soundcard off of the driver CD, then used the autoupdate feature at the Creative site for any driver/software updates, then screwed with any and every setting I could think of (or read about) to get EAX to work, to no avail. But, like I said in my previous post, the game still sounds awesome with or without EAX so i'm a happy camper. :D

elec.tron

I tried it with version 1.0 and then upgraded to 1.1 and still the same prob :(

(you buy an audigy 2 thinking it'll have the best compatibility and quality with everything) :(

N1vek215 said:
I tried it with version 1.0 and then upgraded to 1.1 and still the same prob :(

(you buy an audigy 2 thinking it'll have the best compatibility and quality with everything) :(

Nope, it's quite the opposite; if you lose the Audigy driver CD, then you have to either cough up $20 to get another from Creative, or creatively install your Audigy. I personally regret buying my Audigy II, and would recommend that it not be purchased by anyone with an NF7-S or other nForce based board with nForce onboard sound (not that crappy realtek stuff).

Creative drivers suck. Seriously, I have never encountered so many problems with drivers then I have with creative drivers period.

In order for the sound card to work properly I have to install the drivers from the CD. Then from there I d/l a couple - three updates that creative has on their website. Without the updates the sound card will not work correctly no matter what I do. I have to play with the options a bit also.......

All in all though if you get the card to work it sounds beautiful!

obsolete said:
Creative drivers suck. Seriously, I have never encountered so many problems with drivers then I have with creative drivers period.

In order for the sound card to work properly I have to install the drivers from the CD. Then from there I d/l a couple - three updates that creative has on their website. Without the updates the sound card will not work correctly no matter what I do. I have to play with the options a bit also.......

All in all though if you get the card to work it sounds beautiful!

I'm going to take your suggestion tonight and reinstall from scratch, I'll report back.

I am a little confused -- you say 3, but on their site I only found the eax 4.0 web update (13MB) and the update for the eax 4.0 web update (6MB)... which is the third one?

I am a little confused -- you say 3, but on their site I only found the eax 4.0 web update (13MB) and the update for the eax 4.0 web update (6MB)... which is the third one?

Well to confuse you even more!! I believe there is 4 I have. I do not see some of them on the web anymore. I'll check exactly which ones I install & get back to you. I could have sworn I had 3-4 updates I used. Sorry, I'll give you a more percise description when I get home later tonight & I can look on my PC. I do know, for absolutely sure, that if "I" don't install from the cd & then use the updates that the sound is all goofy. I do have to play with the options a bit also like I mentioned above.

Alright Pinky. These four are the ones I install.

Attachments

• Audigy.jpg
    Audigy.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 274
Thanks for the help obsolete (and the rest of ya ;) ).

I removed all creative stuff, reinstalled from the CD, then installed the updates from the website (rebooting each time when asked). Works fine now (though I can't really notice an improvement).

what about all those other things on their website like cd player update and stuff. is that just junk?

what about all those other things on their website like cd player update and stuff. is that just junk?

It's junk to me cause I have no use for it. Some of it has to do with Creative's nomad & such.......The Audigy 2 ZS has quite a few different functions or uses.

Your welcome Pinky.

05virulosity50 said:
Do you have 5.1 speakers? You wont here all the sound channels in stereo if eax is enabled.

Nope, 4.1 but the game should only be producing 4 channels and maybe a LFE. My creative media center settings have always been set to 4.1 and the game to surround. The game should know I don't have 5.1, as it seems to know now.

I think your suspicion is correct though, but I think the drivers incorrectly reported I had 5.1 and until I did the reinstall it didn't correct that information for the game.

Back