• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new fortron 530 [email protected] under load.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

copernicus

the higher i raise my clock the lower it is, was 4.78 at 11.5x220. was just wondering if it was worth voiding my warranty by opening it to adjust the +5 rail or if i should just rma it?

How are you measuring the rail? If it's with software monitoring (MBM5, SpeedFan) then you should double check it with a multimeter (if you don't know how to do that look at the orange link in my sig). Also, whenever you adjust a PSU be sure you use a multimeter to monitor the rails and to only adjust it under full load (for me that'd be Prime95 (for the CPU) + 3dMark03 (for the video card) both at the same priority).

That Fortron has adjustable pots on the inside. Fortron makes "the overclocker's" PSU so you can adjust the voltages to your own specs. Be sure to check the PSU with a multimeter while it is not connected to the rest of the computer. Unplug all power connections to the computer, take it out and open her up to start adjusting. Then, start adjusting the rails to your own needs.

Here is a pic.

Attachments

• fortron 530 voltage adjustment.jpg
    fortron 530 voltage adjustment.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 67
why do you test it when it's not connected to the rest? the readings would be different because there would be no load , then when you put a load on it , it wouldnt be the correct settings.

bafbrian said:
...while it is not connected to the rest of the computer. Unplug all power connections to the computer, take it out and open her up to start adjusting. Then, start adjusting the rails to your own needs.

That's the WORST way to do it. PSUs put out crap voltages while they have no load, and even with minimal load their voltages would still be different than the load your rig would put on it while it's going full blast. However the part about using a multimeter is right.

Back