• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case painting mod gone wrong NEED HELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CaseMod

I decideeed to paint the entire case except the mobo removable tray. The issue is the mobo on the tray works outside of the case but once inside the case it doesn't work. It will power up but doesn't post. Outside of the case it powers up and post fine.

Could the paint be causeing a grounding issue?

Im not sure what to do and how can i keep the mod the same and getting it to work right? :( :mad:

It is not a grounding issue, when you put a screw in it will make the ground....
You probably have a bad connection somewhere...EG - broken wire inside the insulation...when it is outside the case the broken wire touches but when it is moved inside the case it is in a different position and not touching.

Not posting can be caused by a few differnt things. What type of Mobo is it? Most will put of a sound to indicate what is wrong. Chances are something is not connected all the way or as Mark said, you have a bad wire in the bunch somewhere. If it works out of the case, take it out and start moving and gigling the wires until you can find the culprit. Good luck and keep us posted

I have done everything everyone has suggested and i even use nylon washers and stilll no luck. I put all the parts i used in this case into another and it boots up just fine. I have decided the case must have not been built correctly or i did something in the process of building.
Not sure what to do what should i do?

I dont see how it could be a grounding problem, look at the clear cases - NO GROUNDS PERIOD. All the wire connectors groups have their own grounds.

You stated that it works outside the case - are you grounding the PS body to the MOBO tray - I doubt it. Maybe it is a grounding problem - something is being grounded that should not be.

Also another thing to try - is to seat the memory before you install the MB (I had this problem once on a S370 system) The memory would not seat in the middle of the stick due to flexing of the MOBO.

If it were a grounding issue, the computer wouldnt even turn on. And if it did turn on, the monitors wouldnt turn on, no beeps, just power to the fans. It is a protection setting on power supplies.

My guess is you just have a card, or plug not seated well. Try clearing the cmos, and starting over that way, and I would sand the paint off the rails like Stedeman said.

i used nylon washers for a experiment with the issue im haveing. I put them between the mobo and standoffs to see what happened. I was curious to see if that might help with the problem. I also scraped the paint of the rails and still have the same results, I even scraped the paint away from where the power switch connects to the case. I still am having the same issue. :mad: now i really am out of solutions and ideas to get this case to work correctly.

mount the board, but not the PWS and see if it will boot. I had a wierd problem where a ground was near the PWS. I had a similiar problem with a motherboard tray as well. My board would return memory errors when installed in the case but not outside of it. Remounted the board and it went away though.

In rare instances there is a combination of case/PSU, MB, and/or Vid card that causes a grounding issue. Try taking out the removeable backplate (one with the cutout for the PS2's, serial ports, etc...) and see if the the system boots up normally.

Grounding the mobo to the case to etc etc doesent really matter, i have a acrylic case and thte only metal is the I/O panal in teh rea, the screws, and well u know the esentials, like all the metal on the mobo and fan grills ant Etc, i would try swapping PSU's and then again it couls be like what Ranger Joe said about the SPU and power switch, but when u hit the power button, it tuns on? or it just doesent display any video? you might wanna make sure your AGP card is in there correctly if it is turning on just not booting

I agree with CheeZeTM, I had a MOBO with a agp slot that did not have the hold down clip and the card would not stay seated. This problem was easier to find than the memory prob I had above....but even more anoying....Is there a good fit between all the components in this case? (MOBO, Cards & Case) Does the agp card line up with the case screw hole or do you have to force the alignment. If it does not lign up, you may need to bend the bracket on the card slightly....

Mark620 now that you have mentioned that about the agp not lining up correctly or fully connected to the mobo that might be the case. The funny thing is i checked all that i might not still be making a full connection. But still i get a video signal but that also goes away after a 5 sec delay of no post. I just might be not looking at the most simple things. I also cannot post pics because i don't have enogh posts yet.

Try putting shims under the MOBO to raise it just a little. Dont force any of the cards into place (if they dont want to screw down all the way STOP). Also, Try booting with only minimal components eg. (only the video card) and just let it sit there without the screw but make sure it is seated all the way.

Back